Covid vaccine requirement

Jessica555
Level 3
Beverly, MA

Covid vaccine requirement

Hi, I am looking for other hosts who require covid-19 proof from guests in order to host them in their homes, who would like to work with me to ask Airbnb to add a vaccine tracking feature. For those of us who prefer to require vaccinations of all our guests, perhaps because we host inside our homes, it would be very helpful to have Airbnb add a feature for uploading and verifying vaccines. That way, instead of us having to pester individual guests for their records, we can choose to accept only guests who have already verified their vaccine records with Airbnb, just like we can with ID, photo, etc. If anyone else is with me on this, I would like to approach Airbnb to request/suggest/offer help getting this feature enabled. It sure would save me a lot of time and heartache and stress. 

For the record, I am not looking for a debate here on whether or not it's a good requirement. As hosts, we can require any rules within reason that we want in order to protect ourselves and our health inside our homes. All I am looking for is others who would like a streamlined Airbnb app/website feature to make this easier. Please respond if you're also interested in this.Thanks!

28 Replies 28
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jessica555 

I think it’s reasonable if that’s what you want to do.

I wouldn’t do it because it would be a disaster around here. My wife and I are fully vaccinated but we feel that other people should make their own choices.

Anyway, I expect that it will be mandated by law before long, and when that happens we definitely will need to see every guest’s documentation.

Ian227
Level 2
Woy Woy, Australia

@Jessica555

As hosts, we totally agree with your points & fully support your ambitions with getting Airbnb to have a centralised proof of vaccination app. 
We want to look after our cleaner & our own health, as well as guests who check-in soon after the cleaner & previous guests have gone.

We are superhosts & have 2 very profitable listings.
However, we are considering shutting down unless Airbnb can set up a centralised system of proof. It's simply not practical to have the onus on hosts to request proof of vaccination each time a booking happens. 

Here in Eastern Australia, we are currently shut down due to pandemic travel restrictions.
We need to feel safe, comfortable & reassured by Airbnb, for when we can open up again. 

Ian & Sandra

Woy Woy, AU

I'm in Newcastle and host in my home - also older couple so need to be sure and safe not sorry.  I want to see it added to the web site as a requirement if they have one before I accept a booking. At the moment I have begun my listing description with Vaccination Certificate required - or No entry. @Jessica555 

Joanne689
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

I am totally on board for this!

@Jessica555

Because of the overload of unvaccinated needing services at our hospitals here in Bend, OR, there is a medical emergency happening. Can my guests get care for any reason as they travel to my city? Can I? I fully support this idea and will join you in asking Airbnb for this feature. 

Sally550
Level 2
Chico, CA

I also require vaccinated folks. Got inquiry to book for someone, messaged them asking them if it "was too personal to ask if they have vaccinated." Waited and waited for response - too long - so I think this counts as 1 "mark" against me re not responding to inquiry. ... This may count in the "5 strikes and you're out for a week or two until you are allowed to book guests again. Not sure is this is all policy or correct.  I support your suggestion re Covid ... 

Brenda1021
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

I, also, would like AirBnb to be able to have the option of guests with proof of uploaded vaccination for Covid as a requirement before booking. This summer we just were able to air out the apartment before cleaning and between guests. But, come this winter, we will have a shared air space. I do use the highest quality furnace filter but requiring vaccinated individuals would be best. There is data to prove the importance of this for the safety of all. 

We would also like to require proof of vaccination. It would be helpful to all if we could have a simple button to click on our page. We are going to put wordage in our description and house rules for now.

I am in agreement with you.  I have posted Proof of COVID Vaccination Required in my listing.

Christine3055
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

I, too, am in agreement with this. "COVID vaccination required" is in my house rules, and I ask all bookings if they are vaccinated. 99% of my guests give a positive response to my question, and some mention in their reviews that they appreciate how careful I am.  Just this morning I declined someone who is not vaccinated, and she threw a fit. No one needs that type of person in their home.

When things do not go someone's way and they throw a fit, it makes you wonder if that is the right fit for your home.  No one needs verbal abuse.  Thank you for standing firm on your "COVID vaccination required."  It is in my house rules as well.

@Christine3055  They're going to be throwing lots of fits, and already are, when they find out all the things they will be prohibited from doing, from getting on public transport to eating out to attending a sports event, or even holding their job. That is, if they live or travel somewhere the govt. actually cares about public health.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 @Jessica555 @

We have preachers telling people that God won’t allow anyone to contract the virus in church no matter how many people they cram in there.

I have also repeatedly heard that some “expert” has predicted that everyone who gets vaccinated will die within 3-5 years. Naturally certain people are willing to believe this without a scintilla of evidence.

The people who believe these things are often the same ones who believe that poisonous snakes will not bite them if they have sufficient faith.

That’s not an insignificant minority in Arkansas, and most of our guests come from less than 200 miles away.

I would be relieved if I was ordered by the authorities to refuse to rent to people who are not vaccinated.

We don’t have significant contact with our guests, or anyone else, for that matter, so we’re not worried about ourselves.

What does worry me are the possible consequences if a guest does come down with the virus after being here and tries to blame it on us or our rental.

@Brian2036  And as karma would have it, a bunch of those preachers have now died of Covid.