Damage

Damage

I had a host who allowed people to rent without reviews.  I did not know she did this and my ATV was stolen and they left my home in a disgusting fashion.  My cleaner was disgusted so I had to pay her more to clean!!!

i got no help at all from Airbnb!  Zero!

I have cancelled all the reservations she made without reviews and she no longer works for me.

Can I ask for a refundable deposit?

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Geoffrey143  Your post is rather confusing. You are the home owner and you had someone else hosting your property? Plenty of hosts accept guests with no reviews, and have no problem with those guests. How would you expect a guest to ever get their first review if no host accepted new guests without reviews?

And what do you mean "ask for a refundable deposit"? You mean take a security deposit off-platform from guests?

@Geoffrey143  I'm also confused, but it sounds like you employed a co-host who you feel was responsible for theft and cleaning issues caused by guests. If this is the case, the dispute is entirely between you and your ex-employee, and there's no reason Airbnb should intervene in it.

Cancelling the upcoming bookings was not a good idea. The record of those cancellations (one of which was only 3 days before the guests' arrival) is shown prominently in the reviews of your listing, and as a result, the thoughtful and experienced guests you hoped to attract will no longer trust you with their bookings. You've probably also ruined a few people's holiday plans for no good reason - adding more to the ever-growing pile of potential new members that will never consider an Airbnb again after being treated this poorly.

It's really not a workable solution to cancel bookings from unreviewed guests, but if you genuinely can't come up with a better way to vet your requests, the least you can do is be explicit in your listing that you're not accepting first-time Airbnb users.

Cancelling bookings can get you kicked off the platform, and so can asking for "refundable" payments off-site, so neither is a strategy I'd recommend if you want to be listed here.

Your response makes me think of people who blame someone who has just been raped…sorry I don’t drink the same coolaid…so I tend to console the victim…

@Geoffrey143 Your response is beyond ridiculous.

@Geoffrey143  So you're looking for consolation, not facts?

@Geoffrey143 

Your post is unclear.

Seems like you hired someone to host on your behalf who didn't do a good job.

Seems like you didn't provide oversight, or you would have known what was going on.

You canceled a bunch of reservations with no real reason- no reviews does not necessarily mean "bad guest."

You blame AirBnB for not "helping", when the situation came about as the result of decisions you made.

And you want consolation because you're the victim? 

Sorry- not feeling it. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I, along with @Anonymous  and @Sarah977 , was also confused by your post and your response did not clarify your issue for anyone to be of assistance.  Please clarify as none of the hosts on this forum serves Kool-aid and we just want to help.

You all have way too much time on your hands…time for you all to get a life and move on…didn’t really mean to incite so much vehement attitudes…you have no idea what happened, you are judgementsl and bullies. Does not surprise me but please stop with your….crap! I think I’ll live without your incredible wit and charm.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Geoffrey143 I am always amused by the reaction of some posters when they don't like the answer given to them. What were you hoping for from your post? Perhaps if you were clear in this we can get this conversation back on track.