Declined a guest but airbnb said I didn't respond. What should I do?

Kompit0
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

Declined a guest but airbnb said I didn't respond. What should I do?

Hello Airbnb community,

This is my first post here.

I recently declined a guest for the first time. I felt there were some abnormalities in the way the booking was made. It could be the system errors. Below is my conversation with the guest:

Hi XXXXXX,

Please do not take it personally, but I decided to decline your request for now due to these reasons:

1. I received duplicate messages from you

2. on mobile app it shows you have 3 reviews, but I can only see 1

3. on website, I can see only 1 review on your profile, but 3 in the booking

4. you have not responded to me in the past 17 hours

If you believe the first 3 points are mistake on Airbnb part, please also help me report this to Airbnb. Otherwise, as I mentioned in our message, please tell me more about yourself and then we can proceed with the booking.

Thank you for your understanding 🙂

note: the duplicate messages read 

"hey

my name is XXX 

i cant wait to meet u" 

which made the whole thing seemed a bit questionable

I decided to decline based on those reasons, which I think is reasonable. I also did that because I wanted to keep my 100% response rate. However, I received an automated email from airbnb this morning stating that I did not respond to the guest within 24 hours, and my "listing’s search placement may be negatively impacted and [airbnb] may temporarily turn off your listing."

So, the question is: What should I do? How do I let airbnb know of this mistake?

and second less important question, do you think my decision to decline is reasonable? What would you have done in the same situation?

Thanks guys!

Kompit

1 Reply 1
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

You should always go with your gut feeling so I think you did the only right thing in declining.

As for the second issue, that seems to be a technical/software thing and only airbnb CS can help you with that.