Deposit

Answered!

Deposit

How does the deposit system work?  Do guests have to pay a deposit?  I'm hosting over Christmas and my guests are willing to put down a 50% deposit but I don't know how to set this up....

1 Best Answer
Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

From the Airbnb Q&A:

"Your payment information is collected when you submit a reservation request. Once the host accepts your request, or if you book a reservation with Instant Book, your payment method will be charged for the entire amount at that time.

Whether the reservation is two days or two months away, we hold the payment until 24 hours after check-in before giving it to the host. This hold gives both parties time to make sure that everything is as expected."

So Airbnb basically holds the payment until a day after they check-in and then send it to you.  If the reservation is cancelled, the money is refunded based on your selected cancellation policy.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

From the Airbnb Q&A:

"Your payment information is collected when you submit a reservation request. Once the host accepts your request, or if you book a reservation with Instant Book, your payment method will be charged for the entire amount at that time.

Whether the reservation is two days or two months away, we hold the payment until 24 hours after check-in before giving it to the host. This hold gives both parties time to make sure that everything is as expected."

So Airbnb basically holds the payment until a day after they check-in and then send it to you.  If the reservation is cancelled, the money is refunded based on your selected cancellation policy.

Marc242
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I want to refund a deposit to a guest who cancelled but as I have been paid it I can't send it back. 

How do I reverse the transaction so I can refund it?

What information are they allowed to send me so I can refund by cheque if necessary.

I don't think his question was answered.  Is there a way to have the person staying 50% now and then be charged the balance later? So they want to stay next May/June and want to pay half now and half right before they come.  Would that work?

@Alex688   Call Airbnb or try Twitter, click here for all info  I know it had a pilot test whereby a guest could pay 50% upon booking and the rest nearer to the date, not sure if it was ever rolled out.  However, that does not mean you get the 50% now, Airbnb holds all payments until the guest checks in.

Vanesa16
Level 1
Canary Islands, Spain

Hi, I am super new here, about a week ago I had my first booking ( it will be in February), so far I haven't recieved any deposit from the host. how it works? Do I have to ask them?  I remenber booking a place this year on AirBnB web and I have payed the whole amount of the rent for the accommodation. Thank you .

Fulvia15
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

hello there,

in my listing i have added a security deposit request for all the booking received in case of damages to the property.

but when i receive booking request that doesn't show.can you pls help?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Vanesa16

Please read the featured answer above.

Louise274
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

How do you go about discussing with Airbnb or the guests holding some of the deposit because of damages? 

Kathleen441
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Hello 

My question is regarding a deposit to hold a reservation.  I already have bookings and we had thought we added the deposit but when I looked it is not included in the Pricing Profile.  Can I add it now and how do we inform the current upcoming guest reservations for the summer of this change.  Thanks

@Kathleen441 There is no deposit paid to you to hold dates. Your guest pays Airbnb when they make their booking, and you will receive the funds the day after they check in. There is no way to add that as an option: you get paid after checkin to protect the guest from fraudulent hosts. If the guest cancels, they will be refunded in accordance with your cancellation policy.

If you're talking about setting up a security deposit, you can read details about it here

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

It's too late to add a security deposit on reservations that have already been made.