Do fake guests/bookings exist?

Do fake guests/bookings exist?

hello all,

We recently put our home onAirbnb and within a few days received a booking for 5 days, great I hear you say... However, I was concerned when I noticed the guest had only just joined Airbnb this month and hence had no reviews or prior bookings.

Fortunately I was able to cancel the booking without incurring any penalty but I feel I have let the guest down (I cancelled the same day).

Is there any Airbnb scams going around whereby a guest can avoid paying for a booking?

35 Replies 35

For all the negative and unhelpful responses, please see below link to my booking which I have temporarily enabled just to prove a point

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42476772?s=51

Wow, didn't realise there was an Airbnb negativity mafia.

Negativity Mafia, what an excellent name for a punk band. Any drummers here?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Gary782 , maybe half of my guests are new. If you feel uncertain, why not ask the guest for more info? I find that most new guests do not have a profile. However, they will have a better time on Airbnb if they do. Sometimes I advice them, sometimes not. You will find the forum full of incredibly useful helpful hosts. Many will look at host profiles to see who they are talking with. So that's a start, fill in your profile.

Sandra, thank you very much for your advice, that gives me something to work on.  I wanted to understand whether there was some frequent fraudulent act that fake guests were able to take advantage of.

It's good to see not all hosts feel they are part of some exclusive club that view newbies as a threat to their income.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gary782 

I checked your listing and I notice that you also have no reviews yet.

Everyone has a 1st guest that is "taking a chance" on our properties.

Airbnb most important foundation is trust. Guest will, hopefully, leave a true and fair review on your property, and you will leave reviews to guest.

Please learn to open conversations with guests - yes, they may be new, and do not have a full profile. Just ask them questions, what brings them to your area, if they used airbnb before, if you can help their stay to be even better. You will see that this can be a great experience.

If you have a confirmed booking (you received a confirmation reference that is a combination of letters and numbers) then the guest made the payment and airbnb is holding the cash for you.

If you have questions, just ask!

Hello Roberta,

Thank you for the very helpful information.  I will certainly open up dialogue to help clarify any concerns I have.

I only just created the listing hence why I have no reviews.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Gary782 

[Inappropriate content hidden]

And BTW @Andrew0 is one of the best by a long mile respondent on these blogs.

Unfortunately your comments have been hidden. Shame really, I'm sure they would have been enlightening.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

It is also important to note that while a profile many not be fake, a person can have multiple Airbnb profiles. So if they receive a bad review from one host, they can open another profile and start again with zero reviews. Better kept both of your profiles @Gary782, just in case.

Louise764
Level 2
Plymouth, NH

Wow, I think everyone has been a little too hard here on poor Gary!   Now, @Gary782,  Be yourself,  I think it was very bold of you to come out onto this unforgiving platform and be totally vulnerable and completely honest!!!  Good for you!!!!   I  too have canceled on guests and one guest in particular on the same of their stay! YIKES, so yes, I’ve been there and done that!  

When I first started I had no Idea 💡 and I mean no clue to what the Hell I was I doing!  I didn’t take the time to do my homework as I matter of fact I totally didn’t even think one could truly make real money from this thing!   Let’s just say I was Beta Testing... the Idea of possibly hosting.

I did not even I was truly live,  long story short I think I ended up canceling on 5 to 6 different guests!  YIKES!!! 😳  I KNOW I SUCKED, I would admit that!!!  

So Let’s Recap!
#I - I had No Idea what I was doing, I was simply testing the waters, I didn’t even know if this would really work! 

#2 - My Place wasn’t even remotely ready!  
Posted my place thinking it might be a few weeks to month before I would get a booking and it happened within a couple of days and I freaked out!

#3 - YES I PANICKED - I did not even know that I was allowed to cancel like that or that it could prevent from being a superhost!  Hell,  I didn’t even know what a superhost was or any of the airbnb lingo for that matter, I was as lost as lost can be!  

Worse of all I had no idea that I could have placed my posts on hold or paused!  So guest what?  I was not ready and people kept booking and I kept canceling!  With penalties mind you! $600 worth of Penalties and Ouch, that hurt a lot!   

But Before everyone Jumps in the band wagon of cruel attacks against me for being honest!  Let me say this “Get Over Yourselves!” None of us were born knowing how to AirBnB, am I right?  So what’s the big deal!!!  Let it go! and try and help others to also let it go and do better!  No one can grow if you keep shooting them down.  

So please guys give Gary a break! Superhost don’t mean your perfect and super human; it simply means you know a little better than me and Gary.  The only bad Review I’ve gotten so far was from a so call “Super-Host” she came at me with her fiery arrows to destroy my little venture.  I guess, she had a little Fear of competition  for some reason she thought her **bleep** didn’t stink!  But it did and flies are probably still following her around!   Anyway, the Truth is people everybody’s caca :pile_of_poo: stinks!!!  Some worse than others!  Point is we all have to clean up our mess and keeping moving forward! 

I recalled how Absolutely AWFUL I felt having to cancel on not one guest like Gary but an imagine additional 5 guest because I was not prepared!  if it weren’t for my husband I would have thrown in the towel and said I’m just not cut out for this But because he pull along side me and encouraged me, we were able to make it happen. 

Now, Imagine me dragging my Sorry Butt to this sweet old platform looking for sympathy and advice!   Based on how most of you have treated Gary, I would have probably jump out of a window or gotten hung by this So called “Super-Host Mob!!!”  Guys that’s Ridiculous!!!  

We need a place where it is safe to chat, cry, share and most importantly laugh at some of the silly stupid mistakes we’ve ALL made!!!  

I did even know this platform exist until a few weeks ago and Tonight is the first time I dropped in and to check it out and to my dismay I’m appalled by the bullying I’ve witnessed!!! That’s just plain wrong!!!  

Gary I sensed you truly felt bad!  You Allow your fear to overtake!  Dude shake it off!!!  In life just gonna be good people it’s gonna be bad people sometimes we just have to do a little extra homework to feel a little safer as some of the folks on this platform has shared with you, simply ask questions!!!!  Talk to your potential guest they are people just like you and me!!!!  They will answer, ask why don’t they have any reviews if there’s no reviews.  Get to know them!   

First in foremost, forgive yourself and then contact that guest you canceled on and apologize if you have done so and Tell him or her the Truth, you are new and were scared, then ask them to forgive you as well.  Offer them, a free night stay or a week stay at a discounted rated, or send them an e-gift card or something whatever you decide to do to remedy relationship.  Please just don’t decide to do nothing! 

The advice I’ve just given to you is exactly what I did myself!   I gave each of my 6 could-have-been guests a sincere and heartfelt apology and I also told them the truth.  Then asked them for their forgiveness, and on top of that I offered them a free night stay or a discounted stay (if they want to stay for more than one night) at my place next time they were in town I even a couple of others book another local airbnb place that was comparable to my place and if it was slightly higher I even offered to pay the difference!!!!  

And this is especially for you Gary!  Forgive yourself and move forward!  Learn from your mistakes, just like I did and make better choices in the future!  

I went from starting out as a terrible host to nearly a Superb-host in 3 to 4 months!  I went from being in hole with negative -$600 to making $4000 per month the last two months!  

Also, 3 out of 6 the guests I had to cancel on took me up on the offer of a discounted stay or a free night stay!  At the end of the day hosting is a people to people business you can be honest sincere with folks and they will understand.  Most people are forgiving and are all about giving someone like me and Gary a second chance! 

Yes, I may have lost the opportunity of becoming a “Superhost” within my first year!!!   But I did not lose sight of becoming a Superstar 🌟 in the AirBnB world!!!  So Gary the likes of Gary & myself out there hang in there and keep your chins up and try and fix or get over whatever fear or obstacles that has gotten in your way to become a Super Duper Star!!! 🌟

Louise764
Level 2
Plymouth, NH

Wow, I think everyone has been a little too hard here on poor Gary!   Now, @Gary782,  Be yourself,  I think it was very bold of you to come out onto this unforgiving platform and be totally vulnerable and completely honest!!!  Good for you!!!!   I  too have canceled on guests and one guest in particular on the same of their stay! YIKES, so yes, I’ve been there and done that! 

When I first started I had no Idea 💡 and I mean no clue to what the Hell I was I doing!  I didn’t take the time to do my homework as I matter of fact I totally didn’t even think one could truly make real money from this thing!   Let’s just say I was Beta Testing... the Idea of possibly hosting.

I did not even I was truly live,  long story short I think I ended up canceling on 5 to 6 different guests!  YIKES!!! 😳  I KNOW I SUCKED, I would admit that!!! 

So Let’s Recap!
#I - I had No Idea what I was doing, I was simply testing the waters, I didn’t even know if this would really work!

#2 - My Place wasn’t even remotely ready! 
Posted my place thinking it might be a few weeks to month before I would get a booking and it happened within a couple of days and I freaked out!

#3 - YES I PANICKED - I did not even know that I was allowed to cancel like that or that it could prevent from being a superhost!  Hell,  I didn’t even know what a superhost was or any of the airbnb lingo for that matter, I was as lost as lost can be!   

Worse of all I had no idea that I could have placed my posts on hold or paused!  So guest what?  I was not ready and people kept booking and I kept canceling!  With penalties mind you! $600 worth of Penalties and Ouch, that hurt a lot!   

But Before everyone Jumps in the band wagon of cruel attacks against me for being honest!  Let me say this “Get Over Yourselves!” None of us were born knowing how to AirBnB, am I right?  So what’s the big deal!!!  Let it go! and try and help others to also let it go and do better!  No one can grow if you keep shooting them down.

So please guys give Gary a break! Superhost don’t mean your perfect and super human; it simply means you know a little better than me and Gary.

The only bad Review I’ve gotten so far was from a so call “Super-Host” she came at me with her fiery arrows to destroy my little venture.  I guess, she had a little Fear of competition  for some reason she thought her **bleep** didn’t stink!   Anyway, the Truth is people everybody’s caca stinks!!!  Some worse than others!  Point is we all have to clean up our mess and k Truth is people everybody’s caca :pile_of_poo: stinks!!!  Some worse than others!

I recalled how Absolutely AWFUL I felt having to cancel on not one guest like Gary but an imagine additional 5 guest because I was not prepared!  if it weren’t for my husband I would have thrown in the towel and said I’m just not cut out for this But because he pull along side me and encouraged me, we were able to make it happen.

Now, Imagine me dragging my Sorry Butt to this sweet old platform looking for sympathy and advice!   Based on how most of you have treated Gary, I would have probably jump out of a window or gotten hung by this So called “Super-Host Mob!!!”  Guys that’s Ridiculous!!!   

We need a place where it is safe to chat, cry, share and most importantly laugh at some of the silly stupid mistakes we’ve ALL made!!!

I did even know this platform exist until a few weeks ago and Tonight is the first time I dropped in and to check it out and to my dismay I’m appalled by the bullying I’ve witnessed!!! That’s just plain wrong!!!

Gary I sensed you truly felt bad!  You Allow your fear to overtake!  Dude shake it off!!!  In life just gonna be good people it’s gonna be bad people sometimes we just have to do a little extra homework to feel a little safer as some of the folks on this platform has shared with you, simply ask questions!!!!  Talk to your potential guest they are people just like you and me!!!!  They will answer, ask why don’t they have any reviews if there’s no reviews.  Get to know them!   

First in foremost, forgive yourself and then contact that guest you canceled on and apologize if you have done so and Tell him or her the Truth, you are new and were scared, then ask them to forgive you as well.  Offer them, a free night stay or a week stay at a discounted rated, or send them an e-gift card or something whatever you decide to do to remedy relationship.  Please just don’t decide to do nothing!

The advice I’ve just given to you is exactly what I did myself!   I gave each of my 6 could-have-been guests a sincere and heartfelt apology and I also told them the truth.  Then asked them for their forgiveness, and on top of that I offered them a free night stay or a discounted stay (if they want to stay for more than one night) at my place next time they were in town I even a couple of others book another local airbnb place that was comparable to my place and if it was slightly higher I even offered to pay the difference!!!!

And this is especially for you Gary!  Forgive yourself and move forward!  Learn from your mistakes, just like I did and make better choices in the future!

I went from starting out as a terrible host to nearly a Superb-host in 3 to 4 months!  I went from being in hole with negative -$600 to making $4000 per month the last two months! 

Also, 3 out of 6 the guests I had to cancel on took me up on the offer of a discounted stay or a free night stay!  At the end of the day hosting is a people to people business you can be honest sincere with folks and they will understand.  Most people are forgiving and are all about giving someone like me and Gary a second chance!

Yes, I may have lost the opportunity of becoming a “Superhost” within my first year!!!   But I did not lose sight of becoming a Superstar 🌟 in the AirBnB world!!!  So Gary the likes of Gary & myself out there hang in there and keep your chins up and try and fix or get over whatever fear or obstacles that has gotten in your way to become a Super Duper Star!!! 🌟

Wow! What a truly wonderful response.  Just when I was beginning to think this community was full of negativity and people who seem to think they are elite real estate gurus.  Never before have I seen such envy and jealousy.

Anyway, back to your incredible response!  Thank you for all of the excellent information and your acknowledgement that it can be a scary world as a Airbnb newbie.  (Remember though, it's no place for amateurs as one idiot responded!)

I am delighted you got over your initial false starts to become a successful host.  I wish you all the very best for the future.

@Gary782  There was no envy or jealousy whatsover in the responses you found objectionable. How odd that you interpreted them as such. What hosts were saying was that you appeared to have a blank profile, while objecting to guest having no reviews. When hosts post here, other hosts will take a look at their listings to see if something about how the host has worded their listing info has inadvertently led to an issue they are having, or maybe just to see if the host uses Instant Book, or some other details that would enable another host to give a more informed and on-point response. When we just see a blank profile, with no explanation, it sends up red flags, as there are plenty of online trolls and people who post supposed questions or comments which are just a hook to get people to click on something which ends up being advertising spam. If you had posted under your actual listing profile, you wouldn't have gotten any of those responses you found so off-putting.

Sarah, I didn't realise when I added the question that it used an auto generated profile from Google or Facebook.

It's not "odd" that I "interpreted" the responses in this manner.  Unfortunately when money is involved, you always have spite and jealousy.  You believe what you want but this negativity by hosts is a passive aggressive way for them to protect their income.  What is "odd", is how pathetic these individuals are.

@Gary782  You are new to this forum. Welcome. The hosts who responded to you here are long-time and well-respected posters and certainly not pathetic. People can be be very straightforward and seemingly harsh here sometimes, but their intentions aren't evil. Public forums aren't for the uber-sensitive- you have to have a thick skin sometimes. Their responses had nothing to do with spite and jealousy or protecting their income. This is an international English speaking forum- your listing isn't in competition with any of theirs, because their listings are in a completely different part of the world than yours. And why would established hosts be envious or jealous of a new host?