Does Airbnb send the IRS any info when less then $20,000 is earned?

Lubov0
Level 1
Stevensville, MD

Does Airbnb send the IRS any info when less then $20,000 is earned?

Its Tax time and I do my own taxes (turbo tax), does anyone know if the IRS gets info from Airbnb regarding host income if the income was less than 6000. I saw that airbnb issues a form to hosts if they earned $20,000 and/or had 200 bookings...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

74 Replies 74
Sara667
Level 1
Sioux Falls, SD

*Please help*

I helped my mother host airbnb this year by creating an account in my name. She recieved $6000 in 2017 but transfers were sent to me and I paid her. She wants to do the taxes in her name. I realize now this was a poor way of doing it and we have changed bank accounts so that she recieves the income but the account will continue to be in my name as I am managing that side of things. 

My question: do I have to file taxes if she is reporting the income?

I should also mention that she was paid via transfers from my account so there is a paper trail of her recieving the funds. 

If the tax ID (SSN) you entered in your account belongs to you, then yes, it's considered your income. 

Danielle343
Level 1
Santa Clarita, CA

What if one uses Airbnb as a way of getting help with rent and not necessarily making a profit out of it does it still need to be reported as an income? 

@Danielle343 The IRS does not care how you spend your rental earnings, so, yes, generally speaking you are required to report your income.  That said, you may be able to take the rent payments as deductions against your earnings.  

For example, I report all my Airbnb earnings and then use my Airbnb expenses as deductions against those earnings.  Much depends as well whether your listing is an entire home or shared space within your home.  

You should consult with a tax professional to determine which expenses are deductible. 

Hi, Clare

I just made over $20,000 today Dic 25th, 2020.  And started seeing a tax withholding negative amounts in my payouts.  I guest I will be getting a 1099 this is my first full year hosting.  And I dont recall providing my SSN to airbnb.

I am thinking whether to report this to IRS or not

Hi @Arqui28 

Airbnb will report your income if you had earnings of $20K or more AND had 200 or more reservations.  It must be both. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/414/should-i-expect-to-receive-a-tax-form-from-airbnb

Hopefully you have kept track of your expenses which can offset the income. 

If you have not provided Airbnb with your Tax ID, Airbnb will withhold taxes:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/510/why-are-taxes-being-withheld-from-my-payouts

I hope this helps!

Michael1187
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

I had 19 bookings and about 2800.00 income from a room. I didn't expect to get a 1099-K from AirBnb, but lo and behold. I did.

Has anyone else had this experience? I sent Airbnb an email regarding this question. It's been over a week. No reply.

I

@Michael1187wrote:

I had 19 bookings and about 2800.00 income from a room. I didn't expect to get a 1099-K from AirBnb, but lo and behold. I did.

Has anyone else had this experience? I sent Airbnb an email regarding this question. It's been over a week. No reply.

I have the same situation. Called Airbnb and was told the state of Massachusetts requires them to issue a 1099 even though the income doesn’t meet the IRS requirements for issuing the form.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I hate to ask, but how many people have actually got a 1099 from Airbnb. I would hope it was available electronically, but apparently not. Did more than 200 nights, $20k+. Have already accounted for income as rental, but seems very ad hoc way Airbnb is handling tax. 

JUST PUT THE 1099 FORMS ONLINE !!

Michael242
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

I am way under the $20,000 / 200 level, but I still received a 1099-K. How come.

I keep reading that the form is only generated if you are over the $20,000 level.

Thanks for any thoughts 

Michael242
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

I see my question was already answered!

Matthew705
Level 2
New York, United States

Not sure if this thread is still active. I am curious what the definition of "14 days" is with regards to the "Master's Exception".
Is it in the strict sense of a 24 hour period or is it more of a "calendar day" kind of definition. Hypothetically, if I had 8 bookings for guests that each stayed only one night (less than 24 hours), is that 8 days or 16 days?

If a guest paid for 2 nights, so they could stay a few hours into the next day, and then left early (not using the last night and staying for less than 24 hours) is that 1 day, 2 days, or 3 days? 

Tony1200
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

Did anyone else get a 1099k when you DID NOT meet the 200guest threshold? I Did and am freaking out and Airbnb legal will not respond as to wtf!