Got a long term guest who got really good rate but they are out most of the day

Angie458
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Got a long term guest who got really good rate but they are out most of the day

Got long term guest who got a cheap rate but despite me asking them nicely leaves heating on full blast and can not operate form my house. Our heating bill going through it j the roof plus bad for environment 

any tips ideas to make him more considerate ? 

4 Replies 4
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Angie458  Install a smart thermostat and control it through WiFi and internet yourself. Ecobee or NEST are two good smart thermostat if you like to purchase.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Angie458  I use Drayton Wiser smart thermosts throughout the home, all controlled through my smart phone.

Very easy to use, full control of all heating and can shut down any rooms which do not have guests.

Certainly seen a large saving on heating costs since it was installed 2 years ago

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We use Ecobee & love that we can control it from anywhere by use of our phone 🙂

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Angie458 i honestly feel for you I had long term guests who update her booking every 2 weeks after more than 2 months booking I end up having an electricity bill of 800 for her stay. And I had warned her about the usage of the heater but was a waste of time. 

My advice is to tell guest u can cover heat/gas till a certain amount of money if the bills go over that u will ask via resolution centre for extra fees payment otherwise it is not worth hosting if expenses are hight than the income. But call Support also for their advice on that. I have learned now never to accept more than 2 weeks booking and not to accept any renewal I had guests who want to renew 2 times for 2 weeks I simply said I prefer not. They get too comfy and bills sky rock. In Australia, u cannot win when too warm Air-cond is on all day long and when winter Heater is on all day none stop and unfortunately in a country where electricity is very expensive.