Guest Requesting a refund after review period is over

Guest Requesting a refund after review period is over

We had a guest + 2 other ladies in her group check out two weeks ago that stayed 5 nights - we never received any communication during their stay (even though we urge guests to always reach out if they need something at any time via the air bnb app and we provide our cell #'s). 
It's been two weeks and the guest has just now messaged us privately with a list of complaints - cleanliness (one of the beds  she describes as disgusting but no details plus interior of kitchen cabinets?and  poorly equipped kitchen due to dull knives, and cold during their stay. They are demanding a refund of our cleaning fee $75 plus one night's stay $162.  We have a very old 1830's stone cottage, so it does have quirks and character but no major flaws.  We had to note in our listing that we recently updated the house with a brand new heater in Sept. 2018, due to heating issues in the past.  However, we have not had any complaints about the heating until now from this guest who stayed in early March 2019 and have had several guests stay through the winter.  We provide extra blankets and space heaters in each room just in case, because we know old homes can feel colder.   She never once reached out to us with any questions or concerns until now...2 weeks later demanding this refund.  I'm just wondering the best way to handle it, I'm willing to provide a partial refund out of good will but something just doesn't seem right due to such a long delay in voicing her dis-satisfaction and feeling like they were taken advantage of which to me just sounds really extreme.  We just received super host status a few months ago and no complaints like this from any past guests, so this one has just blind sided us and not sure how to respond to her in regards to a refund. Any suggestions? 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gabrielle63 

Did they wrote a review ?

I think you should message them what you allready state her:

No complaints received during the stay or at check-out (or mentioned in the review ?), very strange to ask for a refund more then 2 weeks after the stay. No refund, if they are not satisfied they should contact Aibnb.

Best regards,

Emiel

HE did

No she did not post a review, but sent a private message  the day after the 14 days expired. I agree she had plenty of time to voice her complaints during the stay or upon departure.  I don’t feel like a refund is necessary either..thank you for your advice!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Gabrielle63 

as the 14 days airbnb extortion period has already expired,

there's no need to refund anything.

That is what I was thinking too. Thank you @Ute42 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gabrielle63 I've read so many stories lately of guests fabricating complaints and demanding refunds, it seems like there's a secret scam website they all have access to that instructs them how to wrench money back from hosts.  And the instructions include:  wait until the review period is over so the host can't give you a bad review that will sit on your profile forever and prevent you from booking elsewhere.  I'm very happy you're standing firm.  Don't give these low-lifes another thought.

you are probably right..so frustrating that people would do this. Thank you!

@Gabrielle63 

The guest had plenty of time to bring up issues (if any) "during" the stay...... there is no logically acceptable reason why they would wait 2 weeks after check out to bring this up and ask for a refund. 

I'd send a short reply to make sure it is on record that you won't refund.... they don't deserve one and their claims 2 wks after check out are ridiculous. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  My thoughts exactly. Thank you for the advice on sending just a short response. This is a first for us! 

Anastasia174
Level 2
New York, NY

Hosts beware! There are people looking for a cheap stay and will imagine anything to try to get a refund! Cancel on them once they start complaining after check in!! Don’t give them a refund if you think it’s unfair