Guest arrived at wrong location after midnight and left bad review

Guest arrived at wrong location after midnight and left bad review

Two weeks ago I had a CS messaged me around 12:45am (past midnight) saying a guest had contacted them saying the apartment door was open, he didn't think it is safe and left. we saw the message around 4 am (yes, I now constantly woke up since doing this hospitality thing) and went straight to the apartment to check what happened. (yes, Saturday early morning) Well, no door was open, the lockbox was still there, we opened the door and nobody there. We think the guest may arrived at the wrong place or mistakenly think the laundry room  next door was their room in such a late hour (probably had been too drunk and can't bother to read the direction)! 

He never stayed, but he didn't cancel their reservation either, now he left a bad review about the unsafe location! We had over 230 guests in the past few years, mixed of 1 night to 3 months, all given written instructions, many single female traveler etc...yet, I have to take the ding of this invalid review. I questioned CS that why this guest can leave review if he never stayed, CS said that his review didn't violate the policy so it has to be kept on. From now on to the next 10 potential inquiries I have to explain (or even given an opportunity to explain) that our place is safe, and that guest is too stupid or too disoriented to go to the right location!!   

What do you do when guest arriving so late unexpectedly and blame their stupidity on you??(he said he needs early check in and we had the place ready for him before regular check in time even!!) 

4 Replies 4
Kit45
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Sigh, chin up, and soldier on.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen-And-Mario0  Write a brief and factual response to the review. "This guest apparently arrived very late to self-check-in and quite obviously was at the wrong door (we think the laundry room next door, which is always left open). When we went very early the following morning to check what could have happened, we found that the door to the unit was still locked, the lockbox still there, and no one had entered or stayed in the apartment. I would suggest that this guest fully note the check-in instructions and the apartment number in the future, rather than blaming his hosts for his inattention." 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen-And-Mario0  Oh, I see you already wrote a similar response. You have over 1300 reviews! And of the couple pages I read, they are great reviews. I wouldn't concern myself with this loser's review at all.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The building, next to my listing, looks almost abandoned. There is some offices on the first floor, people living on the second, but the place looks scary at night. No lights in the entrance, no building number anywhere, very old wooden stair to the second floor and a courtyard, full of unused stuff like furniture, broken shingles and bricks everywhere. The neighbors just don't care about the property. It's a very old house-near 100 years old, maybe more. The roof looks like it will collapse. Chimneys, visible from the street, looks the same. I'm always concerned about my guests, arriving at midnight, because there is a great possibility someone to enter there and be scared by a dog, cat, rat, bat,  sleeping hobo or  whatever...But when you live in a city, it's part of the life.