Guest cancellation with Extenuating Circumstances requires full refund

Katie245
Level 1
Kotor, Montenegro

Guest cancellation with Extenuating Circumstances requires full refund

HI there, My guest has had to cancel their 3 night booking on the day of arrival due to Extenuating Circumstances and has requested a full refund.  Is it Airbnb policy to provide a full refund in these circumstances?  If so, I will refund her but it seems rather unfair and unusual.  I was planning to offer her a 50% refund plus cleaning fees which to me seems like a fair compromise.  Please advise as I have not had this situation before and need to respond to her asap.  Thanks folks!

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You should not cancel or agree to cancel the reservation, @Katie245.  You refer the guest to work with Air BNB who will determine if the extenuating circumstance policy applies which overrides your cancellation policy.  If it does, the guest is refunded 100%, all fees.  

There are many discussion threads about the Air BNB application of the extenuating circumstance policy if you want further information about this.

Thanks for your response.  Do you know where I can find the full Terms and Conditions of our agreement with Airbnb?  Out of interest.  I find the FAQs way too simplistic, like they are written for children using smart phones, rather than adults running businesses.