Guest cancelled last minute

Guest cancelled last minute

Hi all.  I am a co-host and new to Airbnb.  We have a condo in SoFL and just experienced a reservation (winter/holiday/Christmas season) which was incredibly inconvenient due to our inexperience in "blocking" adequate cleaning time, etc.  

Situation:  we had a guest book our condo, which was totally inconvenient, but o f course (due to our lack of knowledge), I did not disrupt the guests request. After hours of working out a cleaning scheduule (Christmas eve'ish) I was finally able to accommodate the last mintue guest without interuption and then she cancelled within 24-hours.  Obviously this was upsetting after all the hoops I had everyone jump through - especially days before Christmas.

How does everyone handle this?  Very hectic time of year for hosts/guests and then to cancel so quickly?  Seems there should be some sort of penalty.  We are not Hilton's - we are privately owned and take great pride in our rentals and work very hard to make sure we can accommodate all requests regardless of the circumstances.  I had people taking off of their every day schedules in order to make sure our condo was profesionally cleaned/prepared for their arrival.  Now I am indebted to these people when I no longer have an "occupied" space.

Not angy whatsoever - actually works out due to the holidays....but just does not seem fair.  I don't think they understand how hard we work (and care) how we present our homes.  

Do other people "impose" a cancellation fee?  If so, how does it work?  Just curious as I am new to Airbnb.  Any info would be appreciated,

Merry Christmas All!WO

3 Replies 3
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jodi20,

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a last minute cancellation when you have gone to so much effort, especially at this time of year! That is unfortunate. You will be paid according to your cancellation policy (which you can check on your listing)- this Help Guide explains the different cancellation policies and how much the guest is refunded.

I have moved your post here to a new thread, as otherwise it would get lost in another discussion. It will be easier for other users to find it here and hopefully offer advice! I have also given it a title, please let me know if you want to change it!

Let us know how you get on!

Kirstie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Jodi20

It sounds like you haven't really got to grips with how BNB works before coming a co-host which is leading to some issues for you.

Who is the original host for this property? Can they not advise you better on how to set up the listing so it is not so stressful.

Look at :-

1. Cancellation policies - seems like you would only want to have a strict cancellation policy over the festive season

2. Block turnaround days between bookings to enable time to check out guests and clean and prepare for new ones.

4. Read through BNB's information for hosts, help section and the useful community guides here.

Good luck

Helen:

You are correct in that I am very new to this.  I will read up on the information you suggested.  Thanks for your prompt response.  Happy Holidays!

Jodi