Guest cancelled on day of check in and left a very bad review

Kim873
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Guest cancelled on day of check in and left a very bad review

Hi Everyone- I need your help and feedback.  I’ve been hosting Airbnb for about 2 years and have had mostly a positive experience with guests.  Most of my reviews are 5-star and some 4-star and 2 3 star ratings.  

Most recently i had a guest named Todd from Washington DC.  He has 1 positive review and seemed to be a solid guest.  On the day prior to his checkin, I sent him a welcome message with check in directions for the room he booked.  The apartment is shared and bookings are for a private room.  Currently there are 4 rooms listed and Todd’s stay would’ve put the place at full occupancy.  I have never had a check-in go wrong before until now.  Also to preface this story, all my rooms with the exception of 1 have electronic code locks on the doors.

Without any communication from Todd I get a cancellation on the day of his check in with a subsequent message from him stating the room was never prepared for his stay and there where someone else’s belongings spread out in the room.  It was immediately clear to me he went into another guests room.  I do a very good job of describing the guests room and never had a problem.  Todd had walked into a bedroom that a long term Airbnb guest had booked.  This long term guest didn’t lock their room so Todd accidentally accessed the room.  I let him know this via Airbnb messenger.  By then He had booked a new stay at a local hotel.  As per my cancellation policy, Todd wasn’t entitled to a refund.  Despite this, I normally issue a full host refund to guests but unfortunately Todd never gave me a chance to offer.  

He accused me of “fleecing him” and immediately left a negative review.  I haven’t left a review for him yet and is clear this is going to be a 1-star which is going to destroy my super host status which I’ve maintained for the past 2 years.  I’ve tried to ascertain from him which room he walked into but he isn’t giving me details.  It’s clear to me that the guest made a mistake or just didn’t realize this was a private room with shared common space and made up an excuse to try and get a refund back.  I’m also surprised he was able to leave a review despite cancelling his reservation.   Turns out this can happen if guests cancel on the day of check in.  If cancellation occurs prior to the checkin date, they won’t be able to write a review.  

Im planning on reaching out to Airbnb support to see what can be done about the situation.  Any advise would be much appreciated.  

8 Replies 8
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kim873

Forget about this super host status its an Airbnb stick to beat your own back with, let me guess it won't make a dam bit of differance to your bookings.

Todd is obviously not the brightest...

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

It's maddening:  Airbnb has everything set up in the guest's favor:  The way the system is set up, a guest can not show up at your property, can cancel, and still write a review.  It makes NO sense.

They say it's to allow for if a host cancels at the last minute, so that the guest can leave a review that says the host cancleed at th last minute.

Airbnb will not back down on its policy. . .It;s one of the (many) annoying things about AIrbnb. . .

@Ward1 no, that happens automatically. This is to allow a guest who cancels on finding the listing not as advertised to review.

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

I've heard that it's to allow a guest that has been cancelled on at the last minute th opportunity to write a review.  Either way - I find it wholly unfair for a guest to write a review in this situation, other than to say"This host cancelled on me at the last minte."  But that gets tricky.  What if someone books a same-day stay, and the host is not comfortblr?  The host is permittd to cancel, but th guest can still leave a revie.  NOT FAIR!

Airbnb is starting to work better with their host because host are leaving in favor of VRBO and others! They have allowed guest to get by with wayyyy too much while host have lost deposits and bookings from months before bookings then canceling a day or so before check-ins. I now have a strict rule that will cost them part of or all of their booked stay time!  I just lose over 1,000 for a 6 night stay just days prior and that was the last straw! 

I also will go after their deposit if they dont abide by the rules they agreed to in order for them to book our Airbnb or at least they have a heads up that Its there and they agreed too it so if they screw up its on them.

For instance... they smoke in my home or outside on my porches I'll take their security,  it's all written out under the rules where you need to spell out that rule!  A lot of guest would rather give up a deposit than have bad reviews on their stay! 

You would think that they all know what you mean, but they dont... they think you wont know if they blow smoke out the window?Really? 😕  They can no longer pretend they didnt see any rules, ha!  What rules??  lol

Again it's all written out under the rules where they have to read it all spelled out! Its also written out and on the table next to their keys.

Kids are now a huge issue in our home because some of the guest allow their kids to walk around with food and touch everything that they dont clean up because they think the cleaning fee covers Maid service!  NO it does not and will get them a bad review which they deserve! We now require a phone call to even consider a booking if the kids are under 12.

Be tough, but fair, be a likable well informed great host and that includes, guiding them through a great stay without problems because they know before booking what they can and cant do. It does save a lot of headaches and possible losses on both sides and they really are ok with knowing where you stand.

Do Not let them get by with breaking your rules and it helps other host to know what to expect (this couple let their kids jump on and off the beds at 6am while they slept in and walked around with chocolate!!? and the same with the stairs and thats why there are rules. They break the rules they pay!!

If I dont leave them negative feedback how many wonderful host are going to go throuh the same thing?  No sir, stop it in it's tracks. I have had wonderful guest (some from europe) experiences but sometimes you just get a bad one and one of the things that drives me nutson several ocassions  is guest couples bookin for one night and using all four beds! Talk about inconsiderate!

Im now considering a new rule just for that. Thats just sticking it to you because they have to pay a cleaning fee they dont like so they should do whatever they think they can without breaking the rules! One of my guest went to breakfast in town after checkout but asked to leave their car and we almost always say yes. After seeing the beds I text him and ask... I see you tried out all the beds sooo which one was the best?? They actually responded with the bed they liked best but also got called out!  😉 Do i want them to come back...nah.

Believe it or not we just had a couple of Airbnb "Host" with 2 children, 3 and 8 years old who broke every rule but smoking...we think!  😉 They either broke a special butterfly coffee spoon rest and didnt mention it (we missed putting it away) or took it and theres been 0 response from my inquiries so they will get a very bad review and they are host who can lose their status as host!

Always read their reviews...I would have saved myself a lot of aggravation because it was all there.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kim873  Yes, I'd contact support and ask them to take a look at the message stream, which would make it obvious that the whole problem was Todd's error. Ask them to disallow the review on the basis that he never stayed and cancelled because he didn't follow clear instructions and went into the wrong room. Express worry that this posed a security risk to the guest who was staying in that room. Point out that Todd would be reviewing a room that he, in fact, didn't book.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Deleted- posted in wrong thread.

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

What is Airbnb's Content Policy?

The following are violations specific to the type of the content on Airbnb:

• Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions

I just don't understand how can they leave the review if the person didn't stay, its against their own policy.

I just had a guest that booked my listing for someone else, I wouldn't alow a third party booking, but it was last minute and I wasn't there at check in. I realized the person that booked it didn't stay at my place when he confirmed it to me in the airbnb message. I asked airbnb to remove the review since this person didn't experiance my property, but I didn't even get an explanation why they don't remeove it, no response form them, they just close the case.