Guest has no regards to hosts personal property

Victoria789
Level 2
Waynesboro, GA

Guest has no regards to hosts personal property

Hello Community hosts,

I am new to hosting, actually this is my second guest. I really go out of my way to accommodate my guests.  Let me explain. Being that they work at a nuclear power plant, which is very accommodating for them, however, I make it very clear in my description what to expect including conveniences and inconveniences of living in a rural area.  I listed my house rules along with the amenities that I am offering. Still, even though I am cleaning up,  I don't think I should have to clean up someone hair shavings left on the vanity, or flush the commode full of my guest's defecation (yes, he didn't even bother to flush the commode) so I left it right in the commode as a reminder for him to do so. I find myself having to mop urine off the floor...disgusting...even wipe down the commode as there is urine all over it. And if that's not filthy enough, he cooks and uses the paper towels to blow his nose and (without washing his nasty hands) conitnues to cook and then expects me to eat is cooking.  He leaves the lights on all night long even after cooking.

I just know my power bill is going to be outrageously high as I know that his rent alone will not even cover the power bill. Usually,  I keep my thermostat on 78 with the blinds closed to save electricity; however, with this guest who likes it extremely cold, I just cannot afford it!!  So I compromise and set the thermostat to 73 and he still complains.  His initial reservation was for 2 weeks and he asked for an extension of two more weeks and I confirmed. Nevertheless, if he asks for another extension I will NOT renew his reservation. He doesn't even care to wipe his feet when coming into my home from work. I post notes to "wipe your before entering", but he just disregards them.  I am working myself to death just  trying to keep my home livable. And he, seemingly,  has no regards for my personal property. 

Please can someone give me advice on how you would handle this nicely without causing conflict.

Thank you so much for your time! 

Victoria 

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Victoria789   Your listing is for a private bedroom and private bathroom.  Right?  Why are you cleaning up the private bathroom?  Do you have any written rules about the access and use of the shared spaces?  I provide a short list of expectations in a written hard copy rule sheet that I request the guest read so we can all be on the same page.  

I would imagine you have met the slob type man sometime in your life so that is what you have here.  It is your responsibility as a host to reinforce your expectations of how to share a home with you.  

I have reviewed guests that had problems with boundaries and would not recommend them for shared listing.

@Linda108  Yes! And thank you for your quick response! Yes, as aforementioned, I do have rules stated within my listing under the Airbnb site, but after reading your response, I realize that I do need to have them written out  and posted. Although, I do have the "wipe your feet, please" sign posted, it still prompts me to have a written handbook in the room.  Thank you for the suggestion! 

Nevertheless, I think because this guest sees the "cleaning fee" that he shouldn't clean. But I will sat down  with him today and have a serious talk about sharng my home and his responsibilities. After all, he has two more weeks here and they cannot come soon enough for me! Thanks again Linda for your advice! 

Pretty sure this guy is the same at his momma's house...

@Linda108 

Well, he's actually a babyboomer..in his early 60's, just  like me.  He is married and he tells me how his wife is so domesticated...she takes care of the inside while he takes care of the outside. 

Yesterday, he prepared a pot of beef stew in his crock pot and filled it to the rim with water.  This is a a nop-brainer that it would eventually spill over and yes it did...all over the countertops and into my ceramic stovetop and oh did I mention my ceramic tile floor.... what a mess! So he had stepped out and I was walking by so as I noticed this occurring, I grabbed a few paper towels just to block the spillage from going any further. But no I did not clean it up as I wanted him to see this for himself...although, it made me cringe, I had to see how he would respond to this.

So upon his return, I told him what had happened and all he said was "Oh it spilled over."   He began to clean up and left splattered water all over the sink and behind the sink. So when I asked him about wiping around the sink and counter, his response was, very nonchalantly, "Doesn't your sink have a sealant?" Excuse me, I said,  but "it doesn't matter. Wiping the counter and behind the sink especially is a form of preventative maintenance." So he just stormed to his room. 

Later that night as I was about to go to bed, I could still smell the crock pot...so I checked it to find that it was still on. I knocked on his room door and told him about it. But he offensively said to me " I didn't leave it on." And I disagreed saying that "I think it's still on as I can smell it and besides I can see the stew bubbling." So he kept saying,  "no it's off."  OMG! I finally said, why not just unplug it while trying to determine whether it's on or off.  So after all this, he DETERMINED that he had it set on LOW instead of off. 

Even right now my countertop is still filthy and all....but I am just waiting....oh by the way he bought some tomato plants but I am so sorry as they will have to go along with him when he realizes I am not extending his reservation. 🙂 

I have pictures and will send them to you all.  Thank you kindly. 

OMG @Victoria789  he married his momma!  Too bad you can't write a review to his wife 😄

the commode with fecesthe commode with feces

@Linda108 wrote:

OMG @Victoria789  he married his momma!  Too bad you can't write a review to his wife 😄

IMG_0982.JPGIMG_1009.JPGthe gravy from the crock pot, zoom inthe gravy from the crock pot, zoom in

@Linda108 wrote:

Hi @Linda108 , I posted another comment regarding  "his paranoia" as he puts it....I really didn't know how to respond...however, I don't expect the community to reply. It is under "Guest says he is paranoid..." thanks

@Victoria789 

Please feel free to take a look at my listing descriptionand house rules. I host a lot of long-term exchange student guests so I spell out MY EXPECTATIONS regarding how a guest should behave in my home very clearly. 

You should set some clear ground rules with the guest on what you (host) provide vs. what is expected of the guest, have a discussion and reiterate key points thru the Airbnb messenger. It's good you won't be extending the stay...... good luck managing this while the slob of a guest is still there.

Regarding cleaning fee, explain what it means - it covers the laundry, or the turnover at the beging/end of stay. It does not include maid service.

Victoria789
Level 2
Waynesboro, GA

@Jessica-and-Henry0  Thank you so much for the outpouring support!  And I will take the time to look atyour house rules as well. For someone like me who is just starting out, I am so grateful that I am not alone 🙂

Though I know Ellen is always saying to "Be Kind to One Another" still there comes a time when enough is enough and not to be taken advantge of through kindness. Thanks again and continued blessings! 🙂