Guest hasn't arrived

Dubravka1
Level 1
Zagreb, Croatia

Guest hasn't arrived

I was supposed to have a guest yesterday. She booked and mentioned her and her friend (although my room is for one person).

Trying to be a good host (probably wrong decision), I responded that I can provide the 2nd bed (air mattress) for a 5 € fee a night. When guest agreed, I changed a reservation through Airbnb system, with a new price. In next 24 hours guest didn't accept the change.

She didn't appear about 11 pm as agreed. Next morning at 6 am, she texted me she would be a little late and arriving at 11 am. At 10 am I got a text message she would arrive about 2 pm. Now, it's almost 5 pm - no guest whatsoever, and Airbnb already transferred money to my account.

I am very close to cancel entire reservation (it's only 2 days stay), but have no idea what would happen then. Will I be penalized by Airbnb? And what happens if I cancel, and guest appears on my door 24 hours late?

The fact is that in the moment I am very uncomfortable with that guest.

Thanks for your advices!

7 Replies 7
RobandAnna0
Level 3
Boston, MA

Hi, I wouldn't cancel anything. If your guest never shows you'll still be paid but if you cancel and she shows up you'll be penalized.
Stuff happens it is all part of our little business.
Best wishes.
Margaret33
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

I would not cancel anything on the website. I would check your listing and look at your cancellation policy.  What ever you have put on your cancellation policy that is what will be deducted from their credit card. Hope that helps

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

do NOT cancel the reservation yourself. Your calendar will be blocked, you can not get super host and could be fined.

Thanks for your answers!

I intend to write a negative review. I could just hope the guest wouldn't retaliate.

Is there anything I can do (except public answer) if I get undeserved bad review?

I have had guests not show up, and I do not write negative reviews, just a factual one.  I am really happy, actually that I made the money with no guest!  I know it is bothersome in the communication realm, but just stay positive and know that this will happen occasionally.   Its kind of free money in my way of looking at it.  I would just state the fact that she never came to occupy, and leave it at that.  She cannot see your review if she choose to write one, so don't worry about retailiation. 

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hi @Dubravka1

Why writing a bad review or cancel the booking? 
the guest book your place and payed for that, if they not show up, what's the problem? 

just wait, and try to contact the guest for know if they had problem, maybe they are involved in an incident, or whatever!

remember that they already payed you! 

Sometimes also my guest arrive few hours late, but when that happened, is because are always Airport delay involve.... just wait and send a message for know if they are ok!

Cheers Raf

hi Raffaele

What if there has been no contact for a week & no confirmation that Airbnb guest has received your address or asked for it? Also booking is locked in but no payment yet. So yes anything could have happened but no contact always makes me wonder especially with Airbnb. In the meantime I have a locked in "accepted" booking & no information whether the planned guest is actually planning on turning up so I can't open up the booking.

Speaking of is contact w Airbnb straightforward? It always seems to take more time than i've got on the less than useful Airbnb website though I did skim across something that "might" be useful a few minutes ago. 

Hugo