Guest reserves for 1 and brings 10

Guest reserves for 1 and brings 10

How would you handle this if you have discovered this on the first night of their 2 night reservation. They have 8 adults and 2 kids. My house maxes out at 7. I charge per guest after 2.

Should you show up at the house? Should you message them and ask them to pay for more guests? Should you ask them to leave?

20191207_101429.jpg

20191207_101346.jpg

House rulesHouse rules

20191207_101848.jpg

5 Replies 5
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I would message them right away & tell them that you noticed they have 8 people staying in your home & as stated in your listing it can only house a max of 7 so if you aren't comfortable with this then one person needs to find somewhere else to stay. I would also firmly tell them they need to pay for all the extra guests as stated clearly in your listings. If they aren't willing to pay, I would tell them that you will be calling Airbnb & have them relocated asap. Airbnb can then call your guests & advise them again to pay up for extra guests or they are required to move.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Don--Cindy--Patrick-And-0   is it possible they are there for the day and not staying?  I'm not saying that is okay either but perhaps she didn't out and out lie about having only 2 people spending the night.

I would message them, very, very diplomatically.  We see that it looks like there are several more than the 2 people you mentioned when you reserved.  If your plans have changed, you can just update your reservation to reflect the accurate number of people staying at the house, but please note we have a maximum capacity of 7 people including children.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with both @Mark116 and @Andrea-and-Francis0  and think finding a polite, firm way to advise the guest of the rules is needed. Send the request for additional funds and send your as well message, give an hour response time then call.  Not everyone is glued to the messages coming in.  Since 2 of the 8 guests are children, would there be a way to stretch the space so one person does not have to spend the night elsewhere.  Of course if the guest insists the other folks are not staying the night, only visiting, you will have to decide whether to enforce your rule.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

PS...it would also make a difference whether or not your rules say that no one but the registered guests are allowed at the property w/out host permission.  If you don't have that, then the guest may be having a 'get together' that she doesn't consider a 'party' so will believe she's not breaking the rules.  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Don--Cindy--Patrick-And-0 since you already flat out asked the question and she skirted it, then you're best bet may be upbeat optimism (faked tho it may be)

"So glad you've arrived, hope the place is to your liking!!! Looks like some extra folks have joined you, I'm happy to come right over and get yall setup with everything you need to be comfortable. Be there in 20!"

And then go from there. Honestly, can't tell from what you wrote if they're "staying" or "visiting" and this is the bane of many a host's existence. People coming to visit family can be tricky in managing expectations.

Let us know what happens!