Guest with moth balls, strong smell

Gina30
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

Guest with moth balls, strong smell

Our current guest has a thing for moth balls, he things they smells good. I am asking for advise since i made a suggestion for him to bag them. I am  concern since we have a guest back to back and the room smell like a giant moth ball.  Any suggestions how i should proceed with the guest while he stay?

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It;s your place - tell him that unfortunately they smell to strongly for many people but that you can get him an alternative. Lot of scent free remedies around to keep moths at bay

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What's your engagement with him been like so far? Have you had a few chats, a laugh got on easily? If so, then just say to him, you don't mean to offend him but the moth ball smell is really overpowering in the property; ask his input in resolving the issue i.e., how can we deal with this between us.

Hopefully he is a considerate person and would remove them from the property otherwise you could follow up by telling him that you would respectfully ask if he could leave the ball outside please. A bit more awkward if the interaction has been limited but if it is that bad then say something, it’s not fair to you or the pending guest. And look at it this way, it’s better to address it with one guest as opposed to two guests if the next guest arrives and complains about the smell.

Good luck,

Ama

THanks to your advise, I let him know the odor is to strong and he is to responsable to set the room back they way he found it.

The smells is syncing in the entire house. It is a surprising fact that a guest will conside the smells of moth balls as pleasant. After researching the odor removal could be pricey. We are seriously considering charging the deposit to buy the products and take the bedding to a laundry expert. Will this be appropiate?

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well this world is full of strange people.....

Re the cost of products to eliminate the unpleasant smell, if you need to buy additional items specifically as a result of this problem or dispose of any items then you should keep the receipt and put in a claim against the guest's deposit.

You should let the guest know as well, just explain to him that you have to buy theses specific products to attempt to rid  the house of the smell engulfed by the mothballs, that ordinarily you would not need this product and since it is a bit pricey, you will be claiming it off his security deposit.

If you do go ahead and put in a claim, the guest will receive an email from Airbnb asking him to accept, decline or counter-offer; it would be a lot better and you'll probably be able to settle it amicable if you speak to him first. 

I hope he has at least put the ball outside now.... It’s a sensitive situation and the way you liaise with him will get his buy-in or make him defensive – Good Luck Gina 🙂

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Gina30 Explain that it's a health issue.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/mothball/health.html

Require that he remove the mothballs from the home immediately.

Cathy109
Level 5
Kelowna, Canada

I just had this same problem. First, I made sure to have a couple pleasant/fun exchanges with them so they knew I liked them, then I said "I feel awkard but I need to talk to you about the mothballs. I thought I would get used to the smell, but I haven't, and a friend who visited today commented on the odour. So I researched mothballs and learned they are a pesticide and even breathing the smell of it means you are being affected. Sorry, but because of that, and because of my house rules about scents, I have to ask you to put them outside in my shed until you leave." They did so right away. Even so, I am now cleaning the room and using vinegar only in the first wash as several websites recommended, and the odour is still in bedding and towels. I have read that you should not use detergent until the vinegar has eliminated the smell, so I am not sure what to do.  I have blocked off the next 2 nights (thankfully I was unbooked) so I can air out the room and get the curtains, towels, floor mats, sheets etc to a professional cleaner. 

There's nothing these guests could do to help it. They are just moving here from India, and mothballs are routinely used there due to pest issues. I'm happy they didn't bring infested luggage into my room! However this is going to be a huge hassle for clean up and I might need to give my next guests a partial refund.

I just amended my house rules saying that if any odours remain in bedding after their check out that I will retain the entire damage deposit. …..