Guests havent checked out and I have a new reservation coming in today

Margo37
Level 2
Wanaka, New Zealand

Guests havent checked out and I have a new reservation coming in today

Awaiting Air bnb to call me back so keeping my phone line free.

Guests who should have left today ,  I cant contact and they were meant to be out today, new ones come in a few hours.

Does air bnb look after the new guests somewhere else?

Should I pack all their stuff up and get cleaned

have tried to get ETA for new guests 

Dont know what to do . Can I charge old guests for anythung ( apart from another night) 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margo37  No, Airbnb doesn't look after the new guests somewhere else.

If the current guests are still there (or their stuff is) tell them they have to leave, now. After check-out time, unless the host has approved a late check out, they are trespassing.

If they're home, just go in and start cleaning. If they're not there, put their stuff out of the house and prepare for your next guests.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

What happened???

Don't put guests' stuff out of the house!  Do pack it up, store it safely, contact them on the platform and by text and phone message, notify Airbnb immediately by FaceBook and Twitter as well as calling,  clean and prepare for new guests coming in.  Change the locks if necessary and in future use a Smart Lock so that guests never have keys.  Any locksmith can install a Smart Lock for you and show you how to use it, or you can stay home until this is resolved and you get your keys back. 

@City-Limits-Ranch0  When I said put their stuff out of the house, I didn't mean to put it out on the sidewalk. I meant to put it out so she could clean for the next guests. Then if still can't get ahold of the overstay guests, move their stuff somewhere else.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It happend to us , our guests thought they have booked 10 days instead they booked just 9. We managed to contact them after many attepts and they returned as soon as they could and then we helped them pack and relocate them . They were very polite and great guests but made an honest mistake. 

If they overstayed then you have to pack their stuff and clean ... very unpleasant situation but you have no choice.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This has happened to me also, and ringing the guests didn't help as they had left the phone inside the house. They had forgotten to check out, thought they had another day. Anyway, there I was, new guests coming in a couple of hours, no idea what's going on and a mounting panic. I rang Airbnb, they said do NOT touch their stuff, rather clean around (maybe the bathroom or something, get it started while you hope guests will reappear). Airbnb offered to contact incoming guests and rehouse them, also to charge present guests. I said no, I wanted to honour new guests if I had a possible chance. So eventually as time was drawing to a close on the incoming I rang them to say I would probably be a little delayed, and I explained why. As I was on the phone to them the present guests finally arrived back at the house and were most surprised to see me. They were very apologetic, helped me clean the house, got out as new guests were coming in. Nobody charged, no locks changed. But Airbnb was very very certain that you can NOT touch belongings of guests.

Since you posted this yesterday, I realise it is too late to answer but maybe it will  help someone with a future problem. Sometimes guests just make mistakes, not out of maliciousness.