Guests items stolen

HannahyMartín0
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

Guests items stolen

Hello-

I am a fairly new Airbnb Host-Since November 2016 and have had pretty good experiences with hosting guests in our rental. Recently, I had a reservation for 3 nights-Checked the guests in and explained all the rules and information about the house/area. Little contact between guests after check-in besides calling a taxi for them to go out at night. The following evening while I was at work I recieved a message from our guests saying they had electronics stolen from one of the bedrooms-Our house is a story house with a bathroom and kitchen on the first floor and a spiral outdoor staircase leading up to the two bedrooms-Each bedroom has seperate enterance doors, but shares a bathroom inside.

Upon checking the guests in I mentioned how important it was to always keep the house locked whenever they leave-I thought this was common sense, but several times guests have left the house wide open thinking because we live on the property we are always around to watch over the house-this isnt the case-we are not always around. I did mention it might be okay to leave a window open, but really locking the house is best because their belongings are inside. Previous guests have left the windows open upstairs and had no problem.

I told the guests right away to contact the police-on the fridge is emergency numbers and we give guests access to a landline-free of charge. They didnt make any effort to call the police. I was working at the time, but said I'd be home in the night to talk about what could be done. They "claim" they noticed phone chargers gone on the first night, but didn't think anything of it-The next morning they looked for cameras, but couldn't find them to use on a snorkeling trip they booked. Instead of looking further-they left for the day trip and returned in the evening-after 2hrs of searching and no ipad,cameras,kindles etc to be found-they contacted me.

I say claimed to have stuff stolen because I don't know if they had everything upon arrive to our property. They say someone must have gone up the stairs onto the balcony and carefuly gotten into the window-this has never happend before. When I asked if they had travel insurance-They said the deductible was $1,000 and it wasnt worth the effort to put in a claim. We offered to drive them to the police the next day ( they had no transportation) to file a police report, they said no. After telling me many times how this was my fault for saying they could leave a window open, they told us how this was the worst airbnb ever-began stating little things that were broken in the house. Next they said they wanted a refund of a night and would be leaving a day early because they felt unsafe.

The morning they left-the guest proseded to tell my boyfriend that if they didn't receieve a refund-they would write a very bad review.

I phoned airbnb to explain my side and don't know what to do

9 Replies 9
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sounds like these people are trying to scam you.  If I legitimately had my belongings stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to file a police report.  Make sure to document any of their messages inside the Airbnb system claiming to give you a bad review if you dont give them a refund, as this is in violation of Airbnb's Extortion Policy.

I would get in front of this by Contacting Airbnb ASAP to let them know what is going on.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@HannahyMartín0 You can not cure stupid.

If it was legit they would need a police report for an Insurance Claim. 

No way of knowing for certain what is going on, but I agree with @Cynthia-and-Chris1 all you can do is get ahead of the situation.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@HannahyMartín0  Any updates?

Hello-

I was patiently waiting on Airbnb to investigate this situation, but it turns out the last two calls I've made to customer service were never docutmented. Made a 3rd call in today after weeks of no response-Each customer service rep asured me that my case would be assigned to a case manager and it would be investigated. Well now they are claiming my guest called in first to complain and is going to be assigned a case manager soon. Still not given any answers to who is responsible here-We gave our guest a refund of 1night, though the reservation was for 3-They did sleep in the house for 2 nights.

Just got off the phone with Airbnb who cannot tell me what is really going on or how long this process will takes-Told me not to dwell on the past two reps not writing down any notes on my account. Also told me he is sorry the last two reps gave me false hope of what is going to happen.

Really frustrated right now with this situation. Still no case manager

Pura Vida

@HannahyMartín0

I understand your frustration, I checked you reviews, nothing there and now too late so that is good.

You refunded one night. so worst case scenario is that AirBnB refund the other two, now there is no reason they should but we have seen it happen.

At this point probably best left alone.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree @HannahyMartín0. These guests were trying to scam you. I wouldn't have given them anything. The fact they didn't want to report anything to the police says it all. And who has a $1000 deductable on their insurance.

I do hope you kept a record though Airbnb messaging about your conversations with your guests and that you made any refund through Airbnb and didn't give them cash.

If something like this happens again. Get on the phone to Airbnb straight away and insist on a police report.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Helen3

US Insurance is structured differently to the UK, so it is possible, not that likely and many Americans do not take out Travel Insurance but rely on their annual covers.

Anyway now seems a dead issue.

David

A lot of assumptions going on here.  There are many reasons someone would not want to report to the police, not least of all the hassle of dealing with the police on (a 3-day) vacation knowing that in the end the police will do nothing productive.  Just because they don't want to report doesn't mean they are scamming you. 

Not once have you stated what this experience must have been like for the guests.  I can tell you: Terrible. An experience like that is disconcerting and shocking.  My advice is to show some compassion.  Yes, it was not your fault.  Yes, it happened in your home.  Give them a refund of one day and let it go.  I doubt someone travelled from wherever they travelled from just to scam you for one day of airbnb rental.

I know i have been lucky with my Guests but I can assure you nothing would surprise me.

David