Heating failure

John-and-Judith0
Level 2
Hawkshead Hill, United Kingdom

Heating failure

Just discovered that the boiler in our accommodation is not working.  Won't be fixed till after the next guests arrive (tomorrow). They booked three days ago.  We can get the place warm but the only hot water we can provide would be from an electric urn in the kitchen.  They could shower in our house (next door).  We plan to phone the guests to discuss options.  Before we do this we wonder if any hosts have any relevant experience or suggestions. 

It's not clear whether this counts as an extenuating circumstance under AirBnB's cancellation policy.

John & Judith

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Not being able to provide hot water for a guest due to unexpected repairs will come under extenuating circumstances, @John-and-Judith0, but if would be best for you to speak with Air BNB first before you speak with the guest.  Guest will sometimes agree to an adjustment and then later give a negative review.  Depending on circumstances of how long the booking and whether there are comparable options, it might be best to offer hotel for the first night so to minimize the guest experience disruption.  If the booking was only for a couple of days,  it might be better to cancel through Air BNB and request Air BNB assistance with relocating.   

John-and-Judith0
Level 2
Hawkshead Hill, United Kingdom

Many thanks, Linda.  That's reassuring about the extenuating circs.  Thankfully our wonderful plumber, who happened to be working next door, has just fixed it - not his speciality but he made an inspired guess and a 35 mile round trip to the heating parts suppliers by us was rewarded with a reassuring ooomph from the boiler.  Fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong till the New Year.

Ilze7
Level 1
Rīga, Latvia

Guys, happy new year first. And my question. How do you speak to airbnb in the first place. I had a similar situation with the heating and had to cancel and now i dont see my house at all in the list. I need to speak to them ( airbnb ) but I can not find the contact anywhere or am I blind??

ilze 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Ilze7 ,

Your appartment ("warm and cozy home") is still in the search list,allthough maybe not as high positioned as before as a result of the cancellation.

Contact Airbnb: Airbnb Help: contact 

Best regards,Emiel