Help Desk 'Not Allowed' to disclose their location!

Mary1135
Level 8
Bar Harbor, ME

Help Desk 'Not Allowed' to disclose their location!

Isn't that a little crazy?  They have all of our information, we can't even know where we are calling when we call.  They just say this rote thing that they are not allowed to disclose, but that they are a global company.  I mean, I don't care, I just like to know where I am calling.

Isn't this a bit unsettling?  

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mary1135,

The Customer Service (CS) is a callcenter, it can connect you with CS people all over the world.

Why do you want to know their location ? You are charged for the Phone Number you are calling. If i call Airbnb in Amsterdam, i am charged for a call to Amsterdam, but i am connected to CS in Dublin, but could  end up speaking to someone on the Philippines !

Best regards,

Emiel

Yes, correct, Emiel.  But ask yourself...why?  

The answer may be because this company might pay very poor wages to people in poor countries, and we as hosts are providing the means and material for this (possible) exploitation to occur.

I don't know, I just like to know if the company that I am offering my home to is out-sourcing with exploitative working arrangements.  Maybe it wouldn't matter to anyone but me, but why can't I be told where I am calling?

All Best to You,

Mary

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mary1135.

OK, i understand you concerns. But even if you are informed about the location where the CS representive is living, you still do not know their wages, working environment, etc...

I think a lot of (first line) CS people work from home, having a computer and helpdesk software to do the job. Maybe @Robin (former CS representive) can shine a light on this.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The majority of companies you use nowadays from banks to utility companies, from mobile phone companies to Airbnb to airlines outsource their call centre support.

If you don't want to support this practice you probably wouldn't be able to have cable in your home, use a mobile phone, have electricity or gas in your home, have a bank account etc.