Host Guarantee inflexible

Asit0
Level 2
West Bay, United Kingdom

Host Guarantee inflexible

My guests admitted to damaging two painted walls in their room by accidentally spraying with aerosol suncream.  Because I made the claim under the host guarantee after the next guests had checked-in, just five hours later, Airbnb have rejected my claim.

The guests have said that Airbnb had advised them that they did not have to pay compensation but Airbnb won’t share with me what they wrote to the guests, claiming confidentiality. 

Is there any way I can get Airbnb to reconsider this as it seems totally inflexible and against the spirt of having a host guarantee.  As a Superhost I feel totally let down. 

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Asit0 

Airbnb is very strict on the rules for claiming damages, which can also be learned from other posts.

I fear Airbnb wil not reconsider your claim, but you can always give a try.

What-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Asit0 

Airbnb's guarantee is like any other insurance type product and you need to follow their process for making a claim in order to be paid out. 

It does make sense for Airbnb to say you need to initiate a claim before you're next check in.

like many of its T&Cs - it's worth hosts familiarising themselves with how the Guarantee  works before you ever need to make a claim so you don't get caught out 

appreciate it's frustrating why not claim on your own home insurance for STRs if it's a larger amount ? 

Asit0
Level 2
West Bay, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen, yes I appreciate that  It might make sense for Airbnb to say you need to initiate a claim before your next check in.

All I am asking for is some flexibility for cases like mine where the next guest checked in within 5 hours and previous guests admitted causing the damage so there was absolutely no confusion about who caused the damage.

Do you have any experience on the confidentiality issue - I am asking for what Airbnb said, not my guests’ response so I can’t see any issue of confidentiality

Also what happens if some damage only becomes  apparent later? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Asit0 

The reality is five hours between check in and check out is plenty of time for you to check your listing while doing the turnover and  to log onto your listing and send a quick email to initiate any claim with photo's to open your claim.

you then have time to get quotes for repairs after and submit them

i do appreciate you are frustrated but making exceptions to clearly laid down policies are not how insurance type policies work.

you're a highly experienced host and familiarising yourself with how key policies work such as making a claim on their guarantee or how your chosen cancellation policy works is key to having a successful experience with Airbnb 

I've never had to make a claim on the guarantee in six years of hosting but I know how it works and that if I want I claim I need to open the claim before the next guest checks in @Asit0 

I also have my own home insurance for STRs because I know Airbnb's guarantee doesn't cover many areas because I read the terms of the guarantee.

how much money are you taking about for the repair? 

Asit0
Level 2
West Bay, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  

Asit0
Level 2
West Bay, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen, Airbnb go out of their way to say:

Things to keep in mind

• Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is not an insurance policy

I was falsely reassured  by their “we are one community” marketing. 
I appreciate the need for regulations to prevent frivolous and fraudulent claims but was hoping for more flexibility and support. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Asit0  The Host guarantee isn't a guarantee at all, it's pretty much smoke and mirrors. They do pay out sometimes, but even if you follow their claim policies to the letter, according to hosts who post their experiences here, it's like pulling teeth to get compensated and takes up tons of time. 

You're better off just researching whether you can wash the wall with something that will remove the stain, or using some Kilz sealer on the part that's affected and repainting that area. You should always keep some paint of the same colors around for touch-ups anyway. Guests ding walls with their luggage, moving furniture around, etc. 

And washable paint should be used for Airbnbs. 

BTW, I love your eclectic listings. Just the sort of places I'd book.

Asit0
Level 2
West Bay, United Kingdom

Yes I have learnt that it’s not a guarantee at all.  I appreciate the need for rules to stop frivolous and fraudulent claims but to have no scope flexibility to meet unusual cases seems very unfair. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Asit0 The terms and conditions are actually even more onerous than you my think. You have to inform Airbnb of damage before the check in time on your listing which can be significantly earlier than the actual next guest check in time.