Host changed cancellation policy after booking and added a fee

Mayumi10
Level 2
South Pasadena, CA

Host changed cancellation policy after booking and added a fee

Hi, 

I had booked a airbnb in Maui. The reason why I booked with this particular host was because their cancellation policy was good. I was able to get 100% of my money back if I canceled before 60 days.  When I went back to look at my iternary and the listing a couple days ago it said now that there was a resort fee. That was never mentioned before til after I booked. On top of that our plans had to change, so we were trying to cancel our booking. When I was trying to cancel, it now says the cancellation policy is super strict and we only get 50% of our booking. I don't think that its fair that we are losing 50% of our booking, when originally the cancellation policy was not like that. 

1 Reply 1
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mayumi10

A cancellation more than 60 days in advance you should be eligible for a full refund on the super strict policy. Does it say super strict on your booking confirmation ?

https://www.airbnb.com/home/updated_cancellation_policies#super-strict-60

Does it say super strict on your booking confirmation ? If so, you should be able to get a full refund.  The cancellation policy at the time of booking is the valid one and a host cannot change this.

My best advise would be to contact airbnb with the issue as in my book things does not add up.  

Please let us know how it goes as this is a real mystery.