Host raised price after reservation request

Anita525
Level 2
Mesquite, TX

Host raised price after reservation request

Hi all,,

I sent in a reservation request this afternoon. A couple of hours later I received a message from the host saying that I was trying to book using the wrong rate?? How is that possible? I booked using the rate on the website? They also raised the cleaning fee. Isn't raising the rate a violation of AirBNB Term's of Service? I feel it is the host's responsibility to maintain the correct rate on their listing, not mine. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

12 Replies 12
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Anita525  If you sent a booking request instead of booking inquiry, the host had no way to change the nightly rate or cleaning fee. 

If the host was not able to change the rates and asked you to withdraw your booking request so that he could raise the rates, that is totally wrong. You can report the host to Airbnb support.

OK- it was a Booking Request. Sorry, this is the first time I have used AirBNB and am learning the lingo. They sent me a message asking me to agree to the new rate and they would "approve" the reservation.

@Anita525  Then, don't agree if you don't feel comfortable. If you agree and the host can change the price after he accepts your booking request. That is a very bad business practice from this host. 

But the host can decline your request. After that, he can raise the price up. It is up to you to either book his or book somebody else. There should be plenty of other options.

When I look at the trip in my account it still has the original price that was quoted when I sent the request.

@Anita525  Yes. He cannot change the prices till the booking is confirmed. Therefore, the host probably is weighing to decline your request or getting your approval for an increased rate. If you approves, he will accept your booking request. And then he can send you a change request with higher prices.

Don't agree if you feel uncomfortable and find other options with a hosts who have good track of records from other guests. But just ignore a very small number of skewed reviews which might be from guests who broke hosts' rules during the stay and confronted with hosts. In that case, a skewed review with false information could be in the review.

Weeelll,,, that's an awful business practice for AirBNB. It is their service and they should stand behind what their website says. If I book with Hilton they aren't going to email in later in the day and say sorry, we changed our minds and want to charge you more.

@Anita525  Airbnb does not set the prices. Therefore, Airbnb cannot guarantee that your booking requests must be approved. It is the host property. Therefore, a host gets the right to either approve or disapprove a booking request based on many factors. In you case, it is the price. 

This is the difference between a hotel and Airbnb. Therefore, new guests in Airbnb will need to learn the difference between the hotel/motel and Airbnb. Otherwise, there will be issues between the hosts and guests in various stages from booking till checking out.

Yes, I understand this is not a hotel and that AirBNB does not own the properties. I also understand that AirBNB does not set the prices. However AirBNB is charging me a fee to use their service. Their service is terrible is they cannot stand behind what they are displaying on their own website. The host is responsible for entering correct information. A hot should not be able to bait and switch prices. That is illegal in every other industry.

@Anita525  The difference here is that your "booking request" is not a confirmed reservation. It is basically a message to the host that says "I am ready to book your space, can you please approve me?" The host will then approve or decline your request. In your case, the host obviously thinks he can get more for the timeframe. I agree, that is bad business practice and his calendar/pricing should be updated or he could have just declined. You could choose a listing with 'instant book' where your booking is automatically confirmed. You could also add to your profile a little more; include a picture, a short blurb about yourself, and get some more verifications. I am not saying this is the reason why this host increased the price on you but it helps host feel more confident in accepting a reservation from those new to Airbnb.

Anita525
Level 2
Mesquite, TX

I found this in the AirBNB Terms of Service:

"Other Members will be able to book your Accommodation via the Site, Application and Services based upon the information provided in your Listing, your Guest requirements, and Guests’ search parameters and preferences. You understand and agree that once a Guest requests a Booking of your Accommodation, you may not request the Guest to pay a higher price than in the Booking request."

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Anita525 i think maybe the host realised the calendar was open far ahead of the price she had set. I think u are upset because u saw the price was were below the others accommodation and u wanted to score a deal.

I just cancelled myself 15min ago a booking for December 31 to January 4th on another site, as all my dates where blocked as I only open my calendar 2/3months ahead, and not sure how this mistake happened the calendar was open only Dec 28 to 4th, when I saw the guests booking with very low price I immediately cancelled as my rates for the high seasons where not set yet.

Many hosts make mistake as calendar opened up sometime and only after a request u realised the price do not reflect the seasons or the big event in town.

As u know many ABB host are not professional hotelier, so a mistake like that happen.

If u are not happy with her deal move to another listing

Joe754
Level 1
Boston, MA

I just had the same exact thing happen to me. Sent a booking request and host replied saying (paraphrasing)" I didn't realize I had it listed for that rate and also I may sell before then, so I can't accept the request. The host then removed those days from being free to book for 2 days before promptly relisting for the same dates at a higher rate. This seems a heck of a lot like bait & switch where I come from and is also against AirBnB TOS, but support doesn't seem to care.