Hosts who who want non-smokers only

Rose38
Level 1
Washington, DC

Hosts who who want non-smokers only

My husband would like to limit our guests to non-smokers only.  We don't have smokers often and, when we do, they do smoke outside, but the residual smell bothers my husband.  Do any hosts out there have "non-smokers only" in their listing? Just wondering about effects and/or effectiveness of such a limitation.  Thanks, Rose

4 Replies 4
Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

I have a no-smokers (not just nonsmoking in the flat) policy.   It doesn't seem to have affected my bookings whatsoever.

I've twice found people smoking outside (being v embarassed about it).  I think the thing about the rules on this apply to them all -- MANY guests won't read the whole ad.  If it's an important issue to you, you might want to prompt people in your pre-booking by saying something like 'Please let me know if you have any specific questions about our house rules as listed in the advert'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Peggy7
Level 3
Ringgold, GA

My listing says No Smoking anywhere on the property. Never had a problem with it.

Mona61
Level 3
Laton, CA

I have NO SMOKING in the first line of my ad.  There is no question that I don't accept smokers.  Tonight I had to make a guest leave because he was smoking.  He tried to convince me that he would not smoke inside.  My listing says I have a "NO SMOKING PROPERTY".  I don't care if I ever have another booking I just do not host smokers.  

Mona

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Rose38

Hi Rose,

We  do not accept smokers.

In the House manual which my guests receive immediately after they have booked states;

"If you smoke we respectively request you cancel your booking."

I then follow this up with a welcome message, giving directions, Breakfast preference (allergies etc), reminder of no shoes policy in the home due to light coloured carpets

and finally

"that this is a non smoking home and do not accept smokers"

I have received requests from people who ask to stay and promise not to smoke in my home, the answer is always the same .... NO ... smokers have no idea how much they stink, its on their clothes, in their hair, in their luggage and I do not want my home contaminated.

Guests book the room in the safe knowledge that this home is clean, fresh and will never smell of **bleep** cig  smoke

Its hard to quantify if the no smoking pokicy has negatively effected the bookings, but I do know thatwe are fully booked the majority of the time with a high booking rate of 6%