Human Trafficking suspected

Becky41
Level 3
Springfield, OR

Human Trafficking suspected

I have put some things together since my guests left this morning, and I suspect that the teen girl with the three sketchy men may be being trafficked.  I feel terrible.  What can I do?  Maybe there is a tip line or something.  But one aspect Airbnb should have taken action on is that my reserving guest’s photo was only of his tattoo.  Aren’t they supposed to upload their actual recognizable self?

18 Replies 18

@Saba-and-Sekayi0,

I recommend that you no longer consider this person as a potential guest, and stop conversing with the individual.

Thank you for that! As I waited for responses, I went ahead and declined the user and reported them to Airbnb. I really hope they can get a handle on people like this because it’s crazy. 

@Saba-and-Sekayi0  When red flags go up for you as a host, it's always best to listen to your instincts.They usually turn out to be correct. I've read numerous posts from hosts who had problems with a guest where the host said they had misgivings from the start, but accepted the reservation anyway. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, you said this came in the form of a Request, but in case you aren't aware (many hosts aren't), if it's an Inquiry, rather than a Request, you don't need to either decline (which lowers your acceptance rate) or pre-approve. For an Inquiry, all you need do is message back within 24 hours to keep up your response rate. No need to waste a decline on an inappropriate Inquiry. 

You'll get pesky reminders from Airbnb to pre-approve, but you can safely ignore those. They will disappear after 24 hours if you clear your cache.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Becky41 there is little you can do based on just what you have said . But there are such things going on and its always wise to ask for ids of all adults and to request in your 'rules ' and policies  that you require clear photos , no avatars ,sunglasses or obscured faces. but do report to Airbnb your suspicions they may put a note on the guests details or they may not as they are guests not hosts but if you think there was 'prostitution 'involved then this is against Airbnb policy and may attract some more concern . H