I am the landlord of Airbnb. I was malicious evaluation by the guests and suffered unfair treatment.

Jiayu1
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I am the landlord of Airbnb. I was malicious evaluation by the guests and suffered unfair treatment.

(I’m sorry, My English is not good, the following content is translated through the Google online translation page.)

Hello, I am a victim landlord of Airbnb.

I have a guest, he was around early January (I can't see it now. From the Airbnb app, I can't find a dialogue with him. I guess it was restricted by the Airbnb administrator from the background or other operations? My Guest Stevi booked one of my rooms from January 9th to February 9th (for a total of 31 nights).

However, he sent me a message on January 7 (probably because I and his information record can no longer see it) and said some reasons. The main purpose is to show that he does not need this order. He hope I agree to return him money. Airbnb's unsubscribe principle is that long-term reservations (more than 28 nights) need to be cancelled more than 30 days in advance before the full refund can be made.

As a landlord, everyone will understand this rule. Because I reserved this room for this guest for about 36 days (from the time of booking), his sudden cancellation of the booking would cause great economic losses to the landlord. And in fact, the last guest before him asked me, they want to continue to book for some days, but I can only regret to tell them that these date has been booked.

At that time, there were only two days left before his check in date, and I hope he will follow the rules of Airbnb. I was impressed that he replied that Airbnb could only give him a small amount of money. He repeatedly stressed that if he does not live here, he should not pay.

I told him clearly that he was asked to follow Airbnb's rules. He did not agree. He wanted call the homeowner, but I did not give him phone number.

However, when I saw the lovely child in his avatar photo, I don't want this money to affect his child's life, I agreed to refund half of the cost to him.

This money will be deducted from my own salary.

Then I called Airbnb Chinese customer service staff (because my spoken English and listening skills were very poor), told them my decision, and asked them to inform the guest.

Until about January 11 or 12, the customer service staff told me that the guest agreed with my method. I thought that this was the end of the matter, but the developments behind it far exceeded my expectations.

The guest used the evaluation function to maliciously evaluate and slander me. His behavior led to my low score, poor evaluation, will be seen by other guests, and no longer book my listing, which directly led to my economic losses and unpredictable economic losses.

He said that my house does not have basic facilities such as bath towels, pillows, quilts, toilet paper, toiletries, etc., and will have 'accuracy', 'accommodation experience', 'cleanliness', 'communication', 'street location', ' Value for money' These options are all rated 1 star. This kind of behavior is already a malicious evaluation or slander.

This is a totally unfounded and irresponsible malicious evaluation.

Because this guest did not check in my room at all, how can him choose all of them as the 'worst' option?

I am the real victim:

1. His arbitrary cancellation of the booking has already caused me a lot of economic losses (31 nights).

2. My kindness (give him a half refund) has caused me another economic loss.

3. His malicious bad reviews have caused me a lot of mental damage.

4. When I called Airbnb customer service staff, I was told that this evaluation is in full compliance with Airbnb regulations and cannot be deleted. When I got this news, I was hurt again.

As a landlord, I have not made any mistakes in this incident. I am kindly refunding half of the cost to him. But what am I getting? Damage again and again. Does the United States no longer need good people? Are good people destined to be hurt again and again? Are good people suffering all kinds of losses?

10 Replies 10
Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

As per Airbnb's content policy, "Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions" are in violation of the policy.

Giving any star rating or comment on any factor that was not experienced is a violation of the content policy and Airbnb should remove the review.

That section in bold is copied straight from Airnb's content policy, quote it to them as I cannot see how they could argue to leave the review there

Thank you very much for your help, you reminded me of this important rule. I will give him feedback to the airbnb customer service representative. thank you!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jiayu

Its obviously a malicious review, when one considers he did not actually stay with you, and his beef seem to be, he did not get a full refund despite the fact that based on the system, he was not entitled to any refund!

This review in a caring community should be removed, but don't hold your breath waiting for Airbnb to do so...

He used to come here from the future, I can be sure. There is a multi-angle security surveillance camera outside my door. You will not see the guest from any record on the 1st day or the 2nd day or the 3rd day. 

Because he was on the third day of his expected check in, he agreed to cancel the order and received a refund.

Thank you for your help.

I always thought that I shouldn't get this kind of illegitimate result, but I have repeatedly called airbnb customer service and got the result: this assessment is fully compliant with airbnb rules and cannot be deleted.
I really don't understand, I am a victim (economic loss), why should I be psychologically injured again (evaluation)? This is entirely because a guest did not stay at all.
I didn't violate Airbnb rules, but I got these injuries. I think this is a bug.
Moreover, this has affected the booking of my rooms, and will be greatly affected in the future.
I don't know how to protect myself or help myself. So I am here to seek your help.
Thank you, good luck to you!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jiayu1,

What you mention in the your post (no bath towels, pillows, quilts etc...)  is not in the public review, so probably it is in a private comment. The review itself is mostly about the guest's experience with you as  a person, which i think is rather exaggerating. Your comment (in Chinese) is rather emotional and not allways  to the point, better keep it more business-like in future)

It is not clear to me if the guest has been there (he is talking about the parking ?). Offcourse if the guest has never been there, no rating can be given for local experience like 'accuracy', 'accommodation experience', 'cleanliness' and Airbnb should not even allow the guest to do this.

BTW Was the reservation actually cancelled before or after check-in date ?

I would contact Airbnb again and ask them to remove the stuff, also mention what @Chris1537 posted here.

Good luck,

Emiel

He did not mention the quilt, pillows, bath towels and other information in the comments, but he chose this option in the option, all the basic facilities are missing, which will affect my star rating. And this guest has never arrived here, there is  cameras outside my door (house), I am sure he has never been here. But there is always parking space on the street outside my door. And the drive way also has parking space. I also think that the guest has never arrived here, so he have no right to publish his evaluation of me. This guest sent a message to me on January 7 to cancel the order. The cancellation of Airbnb customer service was completed on January 11th, as this guest should have agreed cancellation on January 11.

Thank you for your reply and help, I really hope to continue to operate. I will do my best to serve the guests, but I really don't want this obvious bug to persist.IMG_1114.png

屏幕快照 2019-01-19 23.13.30.png

The following is the English translation of my public reply:

First of all, the owner of this house is indeed Chinese, there is no doubt. Secondly, I am exempting you from half of the default costs, you will still say these in the comments, you are responsible for your words. Again, street There are a lot of parking spaces, Drive-way can also park, you have not arrived here, you have no right to say this! Know why I refunded you half the cost? Not because of you, because of your child. Look at me Give your comment, I hope your words and deeds will not affect the growth of the child. God bless!
 The following is my comment to this guest, please understand:
 The guest did not actually check in. They booked a 31-night stay and requested cancellation 3 days prior to check-in. According to Airbnb's unsubscribe principle, long-term reservations need to be cancelled 30 days in advance, otherwise no refund will be made. I saw the cute baby in the picture of the guest's avatar, and decided to refund half of his expenses.I don't know what evaluation I'll get, but I hope he will use the refund to buy baby some toys and delicacies for his children. I don't want to affect the quality of life of the children. I don't want to affect the quality of life of my children, although I have received a lot of damage (from January 9th to January 18th, I still haven't received a new reservation). May all of us have good luck!

Jiayu1
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

No progress has been made so far, and I am still waiting for Airbnb's final reply.

Martin3314
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

How did the discussion with Airbnb Customer Support end?