I want to know why airbnb accepted a booking without contacting me in advance.

Patricia796
Level 1
Kinvarra, Ireland

I want to know why airbnb accepted a booking without contacting me in advance.

Airbnb accepted two bookings without contacting me in advance.    Because of family illness I could not accept the most recent booking.   They say they will now deduct a considerable amount from my next booking.

They state in their blurb  ''the amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the reservation''  but I was not given any opportunity to accept either reservation .   This appears on my page and makes me look like an unreliable host   which is annoying and unacceptable.

Patricia

5 Replies 5
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Check your settings, @Patricia796, you may be using Instant Booking. Learn more about hosting both here in the forum and Airbnb help section.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Marzena.   Yes  'instant book' is switched off.  I certainly agree with your last line.  I will take that on board.

Thank you very much indeed

Patricia

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I noticed "Instant Book" is switched off on your listing, i assume it was also not "on" at time of booking ?

How is it possible your booking was accepted without your intervention ?

Cancelling a booking means that your penalised, as mentioned here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser... So that's what the message is telling you. BTW it's a "blurb" sent by a computer, not a human being. Maybe contact AIRBNB about this if you feel something is wrong here. After all their European office is nearby (Dublin..). I found (intl.) phonenr +353 1 697 1831

Best regards,Emiel

Emiel   thank you very much..I was not aware they had a Dublin office.

I will certainly give them a call

Patricia

Hello @Patricia796,

Instant book in currently turned on for your listing.

If you have not turned it on just recently that's why people could book without you having to approve them.

That's what instant book means. You know that instant book is on when you find your listing on the map and the big red button on its page says just "Book". If instant book is off it will say "Request to book".

If you wish to have guests send a request which you have to approve or decline then turn off instant book.

The article below has information on the instant book feature.

Answers-to-your-top-Instant-Book-questions

For instructions on how to turn it off click on "Help" and then type "instant book" in the "Ask a question ..." box.

Then click on the "How do I turn Instant Book on or off?" link.

Steve.