IS PERFECTION ATTAINABLE OR HAVE GUEST EXPECTATIONS BECOME UNATTAINABLE???

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

IS PERFECTION ATTAINABLE OR HAVE GUEST EXPECTATIONS BECOME UNATTAINABLE???

I recently became a superhost after working very hard across all my listings to attain a high average rating. Despite how difficult it was to attain that status, I now find maintaining it to be even more stressful.

I noticed many hosts like me out there who do a great job and earn great money but also have to deal with unreasonable guests who sometimes seem impossible to satisfy. So my question is, do you feel being a superhost has added more or less stress to your life? For me, it has added more stress. I am not sure if it's because guests have become more unreasonable over the evolution of airbnb or if because they now have unrealistic expectations and if so, what has cause them to have unrealistic expectations?

My newest listing, titled  "5* luxury home in Toronto" is my most accomplished to date. I have poured my soul into this one. Spent an incredible amount of money renovating it to what I feel is a high level of luxury. The bathroom itself was so expensive to do and despite it being nicer and more modern then the bathrooms I have seen even at the Ritz Carlton, I still get feedback and suggestions for improvement.  I do have a perfect 5 star rating so far but that is partially because I manage my guests reviews by being very kind and asking them to leave me private feedback rather then public. 

I offer amenities that even the best hotels don't offer like use of our bbq, several choices of breakfast foods, pastries in the fridge, 4 port fast phone chargers, high quality beds, TV in each bedroom etc etc, I can go on and on. No matter what I do, I will always have some "suggestion" from a guest. I assumed that when I listed this newest listing, I would have an easier time because I literally put every suggestion I had from guests who stayed at my other listings into this one. NOPE, still have suggestions for improvements. What else can I do? Would other great hosts out there be able to provide any suggestions on how to improve this listing? Again, it is the one titled 5* luxury home in Toronto. I am truly stumped and don't get it.

I appreciate your feedback.

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I had a house sitter from hell once who, unbeknowst to me until I returned, was bipolar and had gone off her medication.

She sent me emails daily with lists of suggestions for everything she could change at my property to make it work so much better:

Cut off your drainpipes that drain the water off the balcony so the torrential rains fall into the garden strip instead of onto the tiled walkway (which would saturate the wall behind and leak into my house)

Let her reseal my tile floors with linseed oil, she had read up online about how great that is (linseed oil grows mold instantly in the tropics)

She could "fix" my clothesline so it works much better- it doesn't hold a load of wash (she didn't understand how the clothesline works and she was overloading the washing machine)

She's a "expert" on composting, so she went down to the dry riverbed below my house and collected horse and cow manure and filled my compost bin with it, she told me proudly (thereby ensuring that my compost was now full of horrid native stickery weed seeds, weeds I had spent years eliminating from my garden)

And on and on. She did more damage to my place in a few short weeks than everything I or anyone has managed to do in 10 years with all of her brilliant ideas.