Identity Fraud - Credit Cards Taken Out

Gary512
Level 2
Preston, GB

Identity Fraud - Credit Cards Taken Out

Hi,

I am in a situation where my last guest took out 2 credit cards in my name using Identity Fraud.

He looked to see if my place was free, then ordered the cards for when he arrived.

I have credit score apps on my phone that alerted me to this crime so I managed to contact the Fraud departments of the credit card companies and cancel the cards.

I have also told the relevant police departments of this crime as well.

The only issue I have at the moment is that AirBnb are being very slow in responding to my messages and I can see that the persons' account is still active.

Is there anything else that I can do to get AirBnb to suspend he account so his doesn't do it to anybody else?

2 Replies 2

@Gary512  You've already reported the person to the relevant authorities so you've done your duty there. 

There's not really a way to force Airbnb's hand in taking any specific action against the user account. Of course you can give the guest a thumbs-down review and warn other hosts that he can't be trusted. But if your guest was an identity thief, wouldn't it be bizarre if his user account wasn't also fraudulent? Surely a suspended account wouldn't be much of an obstacle for someone who's willing to take out credit cards in someone else's name...

@Anonymous @Gary512 

If only it weren't possible for guests to open fraudulent accounts... 

Oh wait... that would involve Airbnb actually verifying that guests are who they say they are, wouldn't it? But instead, they prefer to focus their efforts on forcing long-term hosts with proven track records - who have already been verified - to go through the whole process again, to re-verify themselves (under threat of de-listing if they don't comply) Makes so much sense.