In addition to Occupancy tax, Unsecured Property Tax?

Jenifer18
Level 1
Lone Pine, CA

In addition to Occupancy tax, Unsecured Property Tax?

Besides occupancy tax my county, Inyo County,  is charging unsecured property tax on every item used in the rental including furnishings, linens, silverware etc. Is anyone else dealing with this and how are you listing the values?

1 Reply 1

San Francisco county did the same to me and I had a real problem since much of the furniture was collected over a long period of time and I had no idea what I had paid, some was inherited. I got ahold of someine in the tax department and he instructed me to do my best at guessing and assured me that I did not have to prove the prices with receipts. You can also depreciate the value if it is old. So read the form carefully and do your best. I kept imagining what i could get for everything if I put it on Ebay and realized right away that used furniture has little value. If I recall correctly I received a bill or had to pay when I turned in the form and it was less than $40. I haven't been billed since and believe I was told that I only had to turn in the form that one time.