Is it really so important to be a superhost?

Is it really so important to be a superhost?

Is it really so important to be a superhost? Has it been a huge game-changer for those of you that are?

6 Replies 6
Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@David-and-Annie0There was a discussion about this pretty recently and the general consensus seemed to be a big "no."  However, in the year that I've been hosting, I'm on my second quarter of being a superhost.  I have now had a good handful of guests state that they chose my airbnb cabin because of several factors, one being that I was a superhost.  So maybe there is a good reason to be a superhost after all.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David-and-Annie0 

If you are in a crowded market, it does help as to just generally stand out but overall no real difference in listing position, bookings, occupancy levels. I personally and secretly appreciate the ego boost ( 🙈) and the $100 to put on future holidays if you have reached 4x consecutive quarters with this status but that’s it.

When travelling I may choose superhost as to avoid cancellations last minutes but I am more concerned on the host (their communication style), if the listing/locations fit my needs and read reviews but everyone is completely different I guess.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  No....it's by Airbnb's design that hosts pour lots of anxiety into their status. The point of it is to manipulate hosts' behavior, and it's worthless as an indication of quality, skill, or experience. Increasingly so as the review process has weighted everything toward 5 stars.

Also, it's not without negative side effects. If you have any vested interest in making sure your listing is a good fit for your guests, you have to decline a lot more inappropriate requests with this stupid orange badge than without. And if you're an Instant Book host, you may find yourself stuck with more guests whose expectations have nothing to do with your offering. Increased visibility is not necessarily an advantage, when you value positive experiences over maximum occupancy.

If Airbnb's extremely flawed algorithm deems it in the company's interest to bestow some orange pixels upon you, by all means enjoy them - but it would be foolish to make this some kind of personal goal. The reward for your hospitality is supposed to be the satisfaction of your guests (and of course, the income). Badges and stickers are for kindergarten. 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@David-and-Annie0 

I'm the co-host for a super host.  I'm also grumpy today so that may color my response. 

Being a superhost  might make a difference because guests can filter homes that are only hosted by superhosts... but other than that, it's all bunk.

CS still takes forever to answer the phone, they seem to actively avoid solving your problems yet send you poorly translated messages that make it sound like they have done everything they can, and they override your rules and policies in the end anyway. Bunk. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

No.