Is there any hope in getting my damages covered?

Jodi-and-John0
Level 1
Brooksville, FL

Is there any hope in getting my damages covered?

Hello Airbnb community. I just had a quest leave today who damaged an antique midcentury couch. There are MANY other issues too which I would LOVE to vent about, but I'll just keep it simple for now. I had a guest register for 3 adults. She threw a party instead, brought an animal into the house, etc, but most importantly damaged the couch which is not repairable.  My security deposit is 150.00.  The couch would be worth much more than that.  If I find even the junkiest couch in the same style, it will still run $1000.00 (authentic would be more).  Is there any hope that airbnb will actually pay the difference?  Anything I can do to get another couch without getting burned?!  We were doing SO well with guests before this! 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jodi-and-John0 

You can claim the damage using this procedures:

What-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

You also should read what is mentioned about  "Fine Arts" (includes antique furniture) in the Host Guarantee Terms.

Thank you so, very much! I read both articles you suggested and it sounds somewhat hopeful and was certainly very helpful! It says that Airbnb would pay for the same "quality and kind" in the terms. Do you think I would need to get it appraised by an antique dealer?  And at the end of the day, does airbnb really pay? If an antique dealer says the couch would have been worth 2000.00 because it was 60 years old, would airbnb actually pay that? 

Also, would anyone suggest I add the other costs (like the unpaid pet fee of 50.00), and the 130 dollar custom afghan arm and back covers (which are of no use now) or would it be more likely I would have any damages paid if I just dropped everything else and attempted to get compensated for only the couch. 

Has anyone in the community actually been paid by airbnb before?

More excitement: My guest just lied and said her other 2 guests (she threw a party remember) didn't happen to mention a broken couch.  So, not sure how this is going to work with claims. 

And guests still get to leave a review after I send them a list of damages?  YIKES! 

Wish I could add my time dealing with this as a damage... sigh...

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Jodi-and-John0, I'm sorry to hear about this. We've recently shared this topic (click here) where more is explained about some new features which includes pet fees. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen