It smells so much like smoke

Margareta14
Level 1
Keidelheim, Germany

It smells so much like smoke

Hello everybody, 

I have a big issue, I am in an appartement and it smells so bad like smoke here that I get breathing problems. Is there any chance that in can get a refund?

Does a host HAS to tell the guest if smoking is allowed in the appartement?

Many thanks in advance and have a nice evening! 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Margareta14 

If there is not a  non-smoking houserule, people will assume they can smoke.

Margareta14
Level 1
Keidelheim, Germany

No there is not but on Airbnb the host wrote it's a non smoking apparement what is not true then....

Can I do something to get my money back. I moved out now cause I could not breath in there anymore. 

@Margareta14  I'm sorry you had this experience. The protocol for a guest when they arrive to a listing to find something not as expected, whether it's smoke smell, an uncleaned place, or whatever, is to first notify the host, so they have an opportunity to correct it, if possible. If the host is non-responsive, or can't do anything about it, and doesn't offer to refund you in full if it's necessary for you to leave, then you contact Airbnb, explain the situation, and ask them to cancel the rest of your reservation and locate a different place for you to stay. That way you'll automatically be refunded, according to the host's cancellation policy, or if it's a matter that Airbnb considers bad enough, you might be fully refunded.

The host was probably not misrepresenting the place as far as no-smoking. There are guests who simply ignore house rules, so the previous guest may have been one of those. If it's an off-site host who employs a cleaner, rather than cleaning and inspecting the unit themselves, the host may not have even realized it if the cleaner didn't report smoke smell. That's why it's important to let the host know first if something is wrong- they may not be able to do anything about the smell for your stay, but if they haven't yet reviewed the previous guest, they can mark them down for not following huse rules and state that in the written review. That way, guests who do things like this will have it show on their profile, and future hosts will be wary about accepting their bookings. And the host won't be surprised and wonder why you left.

At this point, if you didn't officially cancel this stay, you should do so now, if you had more days left on the reservation and you can contact Airbnb to explain the situation. 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Margareta14   Usually when you check into an Airbnb if there is an issue you should immediately contact Airbnb customer service if you are 100% set on leaving the property (at that point the host can not resolve the issue you are having). It's a bad idea to leave and call hours later/days later and ask for a refund (not sure if that was your case or not-but just an example). And if you call them right away they are usually good at either cancelling the stay for you and providing a refund OR helping you to find another accommodation. 

**If it was a problem that the host could resolve then I would always suggest communicating with the host first to give them the opportunity to rectify the situation.