Local laws for Nevada County, California

Sita-Rama0
Level 1
Grass Valley, CA

Local laws for Nevada County, California

I would like to create a forum for local hosts of nevada county....

Buy I'll start with my first question:

The article in the Union from 3/26: https://www.theunion.com/news/local-news/nevada-county-supervisors-implement-new-rules-for-accessory...

....does this apply to dwellings that are already erected and I want to turn into an airbnb? 

2. Are there any good law resources in town that we can turn to?

8 Replies 8
Ralph-And-Suzie0
Level 1
Nevada City, CA

It appears to me from reading the article, that it is legal to rent your granny unit (accessory dwelling unit) if it already existed before this new ordinance was passed.  However, it's not clear.  I too would love to know of a legal resource regarding the rules of short-term rentals.  Thank you for starting this forum.

Hi fellow GV/NV City hosts,

I’m buying a property out on Squirrel Creek in GV.  Wondering if that’s too far out from the city to be a popular rental.  Any opinions?  Thanks!

@Sita-Rama0 

@Amethyst0 

@Ralph-And-Suzie0 

Amethyst0
Level 2
North San Juan, CA

It clearly states an accessory dwelling built before the updated ordinance is grandfathered in and isn't subject to the new more restrictive requirements. Is your's older then the updated ordinance date? If so, I believe you are fine. 

I still feel it's wise to stop by the county building and have them OK everything if you want to be 100% sure.

Air B n B is also paying the Trainsent Occupation Tax on our behalf which seems to be another requirement of the county. What's unclear to me there, is :

1- do we need a business license? 

2-do we need to register with the TOT (Transient Occupation Tax board?)

Amethyst0
Level 2
North San Juan, CA

Would anyone be interested in having an informal discussion group to share tips and ideas re: NV County hosting?

Sure. Please add me if you creating a group. 

Paul,

Lets start a group or point me in the right direction. Were starting our hosting journey and would love to connect with other hosts.

Ben4640
Level 1
United States

I’d like in on this too. Thanks - Ben