Newbie question for writing a review for a not so great guest

Dixie9
Level 2
Warner Robins, GA

Newbie question for writing a review for a not so great guest

Hello, we are fairly new at Airbnb, we started in August.  We are learning as we go and are trying to be very specific and clear about how our guests should treat our home.

Our last guests were very nice.  They came over and we all sat and talked.  The female guest was very talkative and asked lots of questions, even gave some suggestions on what she thought would improve the house (she didn't care for the shower head).  Not a problem, I appreciate having the feedback.  The male guest was very nice as well, local guy, had family in the area and was home for a quick visit.

My problem is that they went through some of the items that happened to be stored at the house.  The house does have some personal property stored inside.  Nothing valuable but it is still our stuff.  She (they) went through all the sewing stuff.  It appears that a sewing kit was dumped out and then stuffed back together.  My co-host (aka husband) noticed a giant wad of thread with other items entangled in the tread stuffed inside a drawer.  Other items  from the sewing kit was strawn about the bedroom, too. 

She (they) also took a few items, again nothing valuable but items that will have to be replaced for future guests.

Someone got sick in the bathroom and left a soiled towel on the floor.  There was food all over the house.  I think they also smoked something in the house, not sure what, don't even want to know, which is a rule violation.  The dog was the only guest that didn't seem to make a mess.  

As I said, we are learning as we go and will remove the remaining personal items from the house.  We will also probably put a new house rule that states laundry and cooking items are for guest use and not to be removed, or something to that nature.

My problem is the review.  

I'd like to say something about the nature of Airbnb, that we tend to leave hosts homes as clean or cleaner than when we got there but have no idea how.

Any advise on how to approach this review will be helpful.  The guests first host seemed not to have an issue.  Perhaps because she was actually in the home where mine is a hole house and they were left to themselves.  I don't really care to have them stay again at this point but I am open to compromise.

Thanks in advance..

1 Reply 1
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I kind of like, "The dog was the only one of these three that didn't make a mess.

However, putting on my professional hat, start with the positive - communication was good? - and then do mention the breaking of the house rule (smoking), and more cleanup than is usual. It is fine to say you do not recommend them. I sure wouldn't want them here. 

I wouldn't mention the sewing kit. It could have fallen from the drawer or something. Likely not, but you will regret accusing them of something you just assume from the evidence. Go with the facts.