Nightmare Situation Gone Worse

Karen457
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

Nightmare Situation Gone Worse

I started a thread Long term Rental Experiencing Many Problems under this same category recently which can be read for an overview of this long, horrible situation that's gone on for way too long.

A bad situation got worse after we noticed water seeping through the bedroom wall of the house we've been in through Airbnb - it turned out there is a broken pipe that is leaking in the walls, with wiring... going through the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The repair person said it was dangerous (obviously, and we couldn't use electricity there). We couldn't leave immediately, it was dark and you can't drive in the dark here in Baja due to the bad roads and other problems but we did leave the next morning, yesterday. Our case manager was, this time, on an extended weekend (he went on his weekend at the time the other issues were occuring and left no backup). The owner who is in the U.S. realized finally how bad it was - a repair person is there now, he has to take out the whole wall and this is going to take a lot of time. The owner sent a couple of different payments to help with the hotel, and also for other expenses as we had to buy cleaning supplies. We received the payment he sent yesterday through Airbnb back in our bank account today, however, earlier payments were still not received, they're missing somewhere with Airbnb so we're covering most of the expenses on our own.

Airbnb has been totally unhelpful - they don't care at all that we had to leave the place and get a hotel - in fact, with the case manager gone when I finally got someone else, he didn't even read the message I sent asking about the missing payment, but instead called the owner and then messaged me that the owner was getting it repaired and had sent the payments. Well, duh. That had all been documented in several places, but the Airbnb case manager didn't bother to read it and just made things worse for me with the owner. I am extremely disappointed with Airbnb - what would happen if I didn't have the extra cash or credit cards to cover the hotel, when our house through Airbnb was already paid for? This is still not resolved. I am way behind on work because of all of this, I work online and extremely stressed out. We don't know how long the repairs will take at this point so this may cost us a lot more than we can afford right now.  Tried Twitter, got the response, "the team will look at it when they can," the last case manager said he is looking into seeing where the money has gone but had initially said it can take 15 business days because of our bank - not the case since the other went through in a day. Plus, they should not be leaving us in this situation to deal with ourselves, it's insanity!

Any suggestions? Is there a way to get to someone at the top? This is seriously a nightmare.

18 Replies 18

@Karen457 thank you for the update and for reviewing your stay accurately. I'm glad you're in a better place now. Hopefully this listing will be removed and your new host will restore a bit of your willingness to use Airbnb again.

Thanks @Lisa723 ! I really appreciate your advice and support during this too. 

@Karen457  You are limited in the review to 500 words, which when you think about it is not much when you have major issues to explain. I am glad they finally got you sorted out. It sure took them long enough to do it though. 

Writing a review

To leave a review for a recent trip, go to your reviews. Reviews are limited to 500 words and must follow Airbnb's Content Policy. You can edit your review for up to 48 hours, unless your host or guest completes their review.

Thanks @Letti0 - I had cut it down to about 900 and it looked like it was going to post that way but I just revised it again to 500, definitely not enough to really explain what happened but hopefully people looking at it online will have information information to make a better decision.  🙂