Opinions very welcome, private bathroom. Worth doing?

Answered!

Opinions very welcome, private bathroom. Worth doing?

Ok this is the big picture, we have a small 3 bedroom house with 1.5 bathrooms and a modest price point.  (1x bathroom  with bath, shower, wc, and one separate toilet which we had put in so that guests could use the bathroom without pressure on their time or privacy).

For about 1,000gbp and doing a lot of the work myself I reckon I can convert our guest room to an en-suite (private bathroom - well, shower room, wc and sink) by losing a part of the small third bedroom.  With a little more work turn the place into a 2x bedroom each with private bathroom.

I appreciate I won't be able to charge more, but in my mind a private bathroom (shower room) ought to attract more bookings and pay for itself that way.

I really welcome your opinions.

Cheers

Kev

1 Best Answer
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Kevin1322 Why couldn't you charge more? My place gets about 27% more than other listings in my neighborhood. I estimate that at least 13% of this amount is due to the private bedroom. The other percentage can be attributed to having a private sitting room that doubles as a second bedroom for the group.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Kevin1322 Why couldn't you charge more? My place gets about 27% more than other listings in my neighborhood. I estimate that at least 13% of this amount is due to the private bedroom. The other percentage can be attributed to having a private sitting room that doubles as a second bedroom for the group.

@Kevin1322  Ah, and the other benefit of private bathrooms is you don't have to clean it while the guests are in residence! In my opinion, this is a huge time-saver and stress-reducer.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you  should be able to charge more.

I also think it you are going to do it don't skimp. £1000 sounds very tight even if you do much for yourself. I recently updated my bathroom and spent more than that just on materials such as the radiator, plumbing, shower, sink, toilet etc. @Kevin1322 

@Helen3yes, indeed it is a  pretty tight budget, I'd be doing it all myself,  including the plumbing. I'm fortunate that my mate is the local plumber if I get stuck and I can get the materials at trade price. if I were a guest it would seem like a no brainer to choose a place with 2.5 bathrooms 😉

@Susan151 good points there.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kevin1322  Many of my guests have told me they always look for a place with a private bathroom, for what that's worth. They're fine with a home-share, sharing the kitchen, etc, but the private ensuite bathroom seems to be a winner. I'd go for it if I were you.