Pending guest that has no reviews and no bio info

Pending guest that has no reviews and no bio info

I'm not comfortable hosting a guest under these circumstances, my system is set up with "auto approval" so it got by me...   If there are concerns over safety does Air Bnb drop my rating for cancelling? also, does anyone else have input on hosting someone without any reviews and short bio.   ( the one sentence he had was "an easy going guy that likes to drink occasionally).   I will cancel this reservation but wanted input.   

This makes me wonder about Air BNB vetting...

55 Replies 55
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen423

If you are using IB then its up to you to set the parameters around this. Cancelling the booking will mean you are penalised both financially and also by having your calendar blocked - but of course you are free to do that as you have concerns over safety.

Personally I ithink you should just ask your guest a few questions - there is nothing so far in what you have desribed that shows a safety risk, rather you just don't know enough about your guest. Have you set your IB settings to take only guests recommended by other hosts for example?

About 50% of our guest are new to AirBnB, have no reviews and have been fantastic - some have very little on their bio as they have just set up their account, so we ask a few questions. Try doing that before cancelling and being penalised.

Good luck

If booking has been accepted then you've got your guest mobile number, give him a call and see if you like the person you've got on the phone. 

Stating my uncomfortablity with guest behaviour and inconsistent incidences garnered me no penalty. 

I sometimes get an inquiery from a guest with a picture of a baby or someone with a mask, I request a true picture of the person making the request or I just decline them under the option of I do not feel confortable with the person.

Niki24
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Yes, exactly.  And that is why I was furious with Airbnb for giving them instant booking - because it is usually the dodgy ones that pay immediately (for one night, usually) and then start with their demands and conditions.  And it took me MONTHS to get rid of the instant booking!

@Niki24 , 

you say, " it is usually the dodgy ones that pay immediately": not quite the right angle -  just so you know, ALL guests are charged by Airbnb as soon as they make their reservation, thus EVERY guest has to pay immediately, otherwise the reservation doesn't go through.

Yvonne5
Level 2
Cambridge, New Zealand

Instant Book does not mean you have to take anyone who books.  You can set that you will not take anyone that does not have reviews etc.  You need to look at this.

You can cancel penalty free with Instant Book reservations if there is something that makes you feel uncomfortable about the reservation, whether it's something the guest does or says or if you're not comfortable with the guest not having any personal information. You can cancel three times through your account dashboard but after the third you have to contact the Customer Experience team to cancel penalty free.

I'm new to airbnb - What type of questions would you ask?

I have some house rules, and my apartment is quirky. Here is the listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2565129

and here is a sample intro letter I send back for first time inquiries:

<<<Hi, Lisa, thank you for your interest in my apartment. It is available the dates that you request.

First off I have to say, this is the kind of inquiry I like! I am guessing that you have read everything and understand the quirkiness of the place. It is a 5th floor walk up, with no elevator, and you must carry your luggage up yourselves.....shoes must be off the entire time you are in the apartment to avoid the sounds of heavy footsteps disturbing the neighbors below....no cellphone conversations in the building hallways....keys are picked up at a nearby Key Cafe location.

I gather you understand all of this, have looked at all of the pictures (including the shower in the kitchen) and are good to go? The one issue for now - I have a guest already booked who is checking out on your departure date. I don't like to rush my guests out the door, and the place must be professionally cleaned between each guest.

Can you advise your planned check in and check out times on October 8 and October 14? On the 8th, I'm guessing it would have to be an afternoon check in, unless the current guest is planning to leave very early in the morning. Cleaning takes two hours.

On the 14th, you would be able to leave whenever you were comfortable before 3 PM in the afternoon... thanks again!

regards, Bob>>>

more than that, it's prying....I need to know if they have read everything. The articulation of their response to this simple into tells me all I need to know.

I also request fluent English speakers. If I cannot communicate with them comfortably in English (I do speak French, so I let that slide), I decline them. Respectfully.

THEY HAVE TO BE ABLE TO READ and STUDY. Know the rules and accept them. Otherwise, no thank you.

Stay nice! and always be open to all different types of people - countries, beliefs, life style.

Oh! I don't allow kids. No window protectors on my windows. It's illegal to have kids stay in the apartment. Clearly stated: NO FAMILIES (please).

Alain125
Level 3
Arzier-Le Muids, Switzerland

Very helpful indeed !

Thank you for sharing this, Robert !

Thank you, Alain! Hosting is work. People who think it is an easy matter - list your place, make the bed, and be done with it - will have some major issues. And I don't count the reviews - much - it is about seeing how well they write, for me. I like writers. Texters, not so much. One sentence? no chance.

@Robert117 , just curious: how is the 8am check in and 3 pm check out working out? doesn't that require extra coordinating with every booking, like indicated in your sample letter? What is the reasoning behind doing it? Thanks, and you got a great place! 🙂

Every booking requires major, major coordination. There is no way around it, nor should there be. Every case is individual. It's a business. 24-7 I am available for problems. I have had to send locksmiths to let people in.

Bottom line - I make $45k on my apartment annually. My expenses are over $20k. That's just the way it is. If I had two properties, I'd make more and expenses might start to even out.

I have a housekeeper, a maintenance man, I buy fresh linen, I have Key Cafe. It's a business. AirBnB does not make one money otherwise. The potential hosts who think they might put their home up for rental without making a serious investment in it are due for a shock.

It helps that my place is beautifully located, a "new" renovation, in a very quiet building. But it doesn't help that I am on the 5th floor, there is no elevator, there is no formal bathroom (the shower is in the kitchen). My place is for the young and adventurous who want a great place to stay, a little luxurious, and don't mind the quirks. In exchange, I have it professionally cleaned every. single. week.without.fail.