Perishables + Decor During COVID-19

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Perishables + Decor During COVID-19

We typically provide coffee, tea, sweeteners, olive oil, and filtered water that we leave in the unit between guests. I assume that we should not do this during COVID-19? And what about throw pillows, wool blankets, and even the books that we typically have in our rental? We won't be able to disinfect those items between each guest—should we remove them?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Traci1  I'm a home-share host, so I don't know when I'll feel it's safe to start hosting again- it could be a long time. But if I hosted a separate space, this is what I'd do-

I don't see anything wrong with leaving things like coffee and tea, and a few other food items- the virus doesn't survive on food by all accounts, and as far as the containers, I myself would maybe use small mason jars which are freshly refilled between each guest, making sure to wipe down the outsides with sterilizing wipes or soap and water and let guests know that this is what you do.

I'd remove extraneous items, like an overabundance of throw pillows, leaving only a few with removable, washable covers (or none at all, but sometimes people use them if they have a bad back or behind their neck) and have a second, clean set to change out if you don't have time to do a wash. I'd remove purely decorative items so there isn't so much fussy stuff to clean and sterilize. Wool blankets you might want to replace with easily washable ones or duvets with covers that can be removed and washed. 

Things like books and games- I wouldn't be too concerned about those- everything I've read says the virus doesn't remain viable on porous surfaces like cloth, cardboard or paper for more than a few hours- a day at the most. So if you are leaving 24 hours between bookings, it should be safe, and if guests are worried, they don't have to avail themselves of those things. You could also rotate those things- have a box of books and games (if you provide those) that hasn't been touched for a few days that you can interchange with the ones that are in the unit when guests check out. It's a matter of how much extra work you want to make for yourself.