Pet Policy and Service Animals

Chris1006
Level 3
Somerville, MA

Pet Policy and Service Animals

I am a new user and, based on an interaction with one prospective host, I am confused about the service dog policy. I have read it. I understand it. (I am a retired attorney who is also a disabled service dog handler.) I am confused about the way hosts seem to interpret it and how it is (or is not) enforced. I prefer to use experiences like this as opportunities to educate and do differently in the future, rather than seek legal enforcement through appropriate federal and state authorities. Thank you.

(Also, I sent a message about this to Airbnb and was not impressed. I don't think that they actually read my message. They gave me a generic reply that seems intended for hosts, not disabled handlers of service dogs who are experiencing issues with access to host sites. So far, I'm not particularly impressed with Airbnb as a service. Although the new host that I selected seems to be quite nice, understanding of the relevant laws and welcoming to people living with disabilities, and I look forward to my experience with her and her home in particular. )

28 Replies 28

@Chris1006 host interpretations have been all over the map.

As a guest, you should not have to warn the host about the arrival of a service dog, but there has been an occasional story about hosts reacting badly to the unexpected arrival of a service dog.

On the flip side, when guests with a legitimate service animal try to let the host know about their service animal, sometimes hosts will try to work their way out of the reservation.

Since we don't hear about the times everything works out just fine, it is difficult to know how prevalent it is that any problem occurs. We only hear about the difficult cases here.

So it is a bit confusing.

Thank you. Yes, I gave a a heads up and that's when host declined.

@Chris1006 as I am sure you are aware, the host is not supposed to decline you because of the service animal.

Feel free to report the host to Airbnb, although often the host will claim the decline was due to some other incompatability.

It sucks because you are being punished for trying to do the right thing (giving your future host a "heads up" about the service animal) when, by rights, you do not need to mention it at all.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Service Dogs fall with the overall category of  Assistance Animals and the AirBnb requirements I would have thought are pretty clear.

What do you mean by interpretation?

My assumption is that most Hosts and Guest have not read it.

David

Thank you. Done both. Not much success so far in addressing host declining due to service dog.

Jayne39
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Service dog seems to be used differently in different countries. In the UK for example, we don't have emotional support animals and they have no legal protection/ rights under UK law. However registered assistance/ service dogs do. The legality of whether a host must accept a service animal also varies country to country. For example, in the UK - if I were to let our my whole home then I would be required to allow a registered assistance dog onto the property for free. If I let out a room in my home while I lived there, there is no such requirement to do this. AirBNB has it's own policy on this, as it's pretty expansive - including emotional support animals including service dogs. However some hosts are unahppy with this, because they either have allergies (in which case they can't host someone with a service animal) or their property is not designed for dogs etc. While AirBNB has a policy, it's not enforecable by law except where the law already has a provision for that. 

Thank you. I actually know all of that, maybe I was not clear enough with my question. How does Airbnb enforce or not enforce their policy in the context of the contractual relationship between Airbnb and its hosts and customers? A policy that merely states intention or request with no enforcement isn't much of a policy IMO, and only adds to confusion and frustration and lower quality experiences for everyone.

@Chris1006

A Host must agree to the ArBnB terms and conditions to use the site. if they break those terms and conditions, for example by refusing to allow access to an Emotional Support Animal (there are a few exceptions), then ultimately their account would be closed.

It is no different to saying for example, No French are allowed on your premises.

In addition there could be legal action against the Host for breaching any specific Country regulations.

David
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris1006   My understanding is that hosts are not allowed to deny guests based upon whether they are disabled and require and travel with a service dog, altho if one is just hosting a room in their home, or, as @Jayne39 mentioned, the host has dog allergies, or in my case, it wouldn't be appropriate because I have a large alpha female who won't tolerate other dogs in her territory.

Unfortunately for people like you, with legitimate service dogs, there are lots of people who claim that their dog is a service dog, when in fact, they just want to be able to travel and stay anywhere with their non-service dog. They will leave the dog locked in the room and go out all day, or for dinner, the dog damages the property, barks incessantly, etc, not things that happen with a real service dog. So hosts may be wary of accepting a guest with dog just because a guest claims that it is a service dog, which is a real drag for people who are not trying to scam this.

This just happened to me this past weekend and I'm still very upset about it! A man made a last minute Instant Booking (literally 7pm same day) for one guest. He then shows up about an hour later with not only another guest but also carrying a dog in a front pack on his chest. They were already in my house (which my son and myself occupy) when I noticed the dog and right away the lady that was with him blurted out "oh we have a dog,  it's a support animal, it's hypoallergenic"... 

Needless to say I was not at all happy for this last minute surprise nor did I believe their bs about it being a service animal. But knowing there wasn't anything I could do, I didn't say anything. Well as the night went on, the came to my kitchen and started cooking up a meal, i then noticed they had lids to my dishes with left over food on my dining room wood floor, obviously for this dog to be pushing around the floor licking on. I then saw the dog just running around the place doing whatever so I warned that I have a mean kitty that will most likely attack the dog if she sees it. They then took the dog in the guest bedroom, and within minutes it was in there scratching at the door wanting out. I bit my tongue. Later after everyone was asleep I got up and noticed that same lid with spaghetti sauce still on it all the way down the hall and in front of the guest bedroom door. I was furious. This was not a service animal! So not only did this guest bring another unnamed guest, but brought their pet, didn't remove shoes at the door which I clearly have listed and posted, then started cooking breakfast at the very last minute before check out time, so they were here almost an hour past my noon check out time, even though I reminded him it was almost time to check out at 1145. After they left and I cleaned the room I of course found tons of dog hair in every corner of the room in the comforter, on the chair, and the throw rug at the end of the bed was filthy. 

I myself have no dogs because I don't want to clean up hair, dander, mud, poop... have damage from scratching and chewing and "urine marking". So it's infuriating for someone to come into my home for a night, not mention the animal, lie about the real intention of the animal, and let it run amuck in my home.

I am unhappy about the whole thing but especially the supposed support animal scam. Why do we in this country have to register and license for almost every little thing we do in life, but these people don't have to register their "emotional" support animals?! Airbnb needs to make some changes!

Also, why would someone even want to stay someplace where their animal wasn't welcome, either pet or service animal. ?That would make for an unpleasant awkward situation for everyone. Why not rent a place that gladly accepts them? 

Because some of us need our service animal and use it in the same one that one may use a medical device. If I have a business or urgent need to stay somewhere and I have my service dog with me to assist me with my disability, I do not always have the luxury of finding a "pet friendly" host that can meet my needs. My travel is not always optional for a vacation. In this particular case I was attending a business retreat at a hotel for three days (the cost of which was covered through my training program), and wanted a less expensive place to stay the night before to minimize the stress of travel for me and my service dog. Also, please understand that people who live with disabilities may have less income and therefore less options. 

It sounds like you had a terrible experience with people who likely weren't actually disabled service dog handlers and a dog that is not actually a service dog. I am sorry about that. Yet that does not mean that it is not important that disabled people have access to accomodations with the support of their service dogs. And even if they are legitimately disabled with a legally recognized service animal... one or some does not represent all of us. I'm sorry that you had a terrible experience, yet it has no meaningful relevance to an experience that you would have with me and my service dog. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Have been around this (perhaps from the alternate perspective - one of my kids has severe allergies) with Airbnb and what the ADA guidelines state for those that rent out their home

- if the space is in any way shared you can legally decline

- if you use the space the majority of the time you can legally decline

Personally, I would find somewhere that is dog friendly - just as I would find somewhere family friendly when I travel with the kids. 

That may work for you, personally. As a person who lives with a disability, I do not always have the option of finding a "dog friendly" host when I travel. This particular trip was not an optional vacation, rather a mandatory work-related training retreat. I don't believe that a child is an appropriate analogy to a service dog at all. I ask that you reconsider and reflect upon your statement from a different perspective. It feels rather able-ist and not empathatic to me.