Post Exposing "Host" With 97 Listings, Fake Profiles and False Reviews Deleted From CC. Why?

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Post Exposing "Host" With 97 Listings, Fake Profiles and False Reviews Deleted From CC. Why?

On March 6th, a member called Bj, started a thread in the CC called "Superhoax Paradox", exposing a "host" in Montreal, called AJ, who has 97 listings - many of them riddled with false reviews from fake profiles. Bj clearly demonstrated how the host was using the false reviews to scam the system in several ways. For example, when any of his listings got a god-awful review, it would be immediately followed by several stellar reviews from some of the dodgy profiles, all of which also reviewed all his other crappy listings. Bj reported this to Airbnb, but was told it "doesn't violate Airbnb's T&Cs, and posted the screenshot of the response he received from Airbnb Support to prove it, along with links to AJ's profile, and several of the profiles posting the false reviews. 

Initially, the links to the profiles were deleted, and shortly afterwards, the entire thread disappeared too. Meanwhile, AJ's profile is still going strong today, with lots more false reviews from the same bogus profiles, and the vast majority of his listings at either 3.5 or 4 stars. (So much for being delisted for low ratings. Obviously, such punishments don't apply to the Pro's)

Yesterday, AJ hit the headlines, when he was featured as one of Canada's Top 5 Airbnb hosts, in a CBC investigative study, covering 32000 listings in 16 major cities, which uncovered huge "professional" operators and commercial entities, hiding behind fake profiles, posing as regular hosts. (Sonder, with thousands of listings in the US, Central and South America and Europe, and $135 million in funding behind them, is flying high at No 2 on the list)

"But while Airbnb promotes itself as a darling of the sharing economy, touting stays in real people's homes and relationships with personable hosts, its biggest players in Canada are actually — and often secretly — multimillion-dollar for-profit corporations, a CBC News data analysis found"

"Airbnb did not suggest that anyone CBC News spoke to was violating its terms of service"

This is not only happening in Canada. Nama any Airbnb market on earth and I'll show you a dozen similar instances in 5 minutes flat. This sh*t is destroying our cities and devastating our communities - your city, my city, every city on the planet. Airbnb is cynically using and exploiting its own "valued host community" as a Trojan Horse to hoodwink regulators and pave the way for the venture capitalists, investment bankers, foreign speculators, vulture funds and chancers, to slip in behind us, and stealthily take over all that lovely lucrative business that small traditional hosts have worked tirelessly to build up over the past decade. It's happening already, on an epic scale. And we're all too d*mn blind to see it. Or maybe just too dumb to care. 

40 Replies 40
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

"Who's behind the smiling faces of some Airbnb hosts? Multi-million dollar corporations"

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5116103

@Miki 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Wait a minute, the photo of AJ is a stock image?!  Ugh, too cute to be true.

Oh it's true, @Emilia42. And the entire platform is flooded with "professional" accounts like this. I can't post the links to the profiles, because they'll no doubt be deleted if I do, as they were when they were posted in the CC by Bj, but here's a couple of examples of "AJ's" reviews (the real reviews, not the excellent ones posted by his scam profiles)... 20190501_213837.png

20190501_214305.png

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan17, here I am super paranoid that Airbnb is going shut me down over a guest reporting me, for something stupid like my house needs a paint job, and there are hosts out there that are allowed to operate with these types of reviews. I am surprised, actually, that these big management guys have so many listings on Airbnb. Don't they know that the Airbnb robots can shut them down and cancel thousands and thousands of dollars in  a matter of minutes?

I "follow" a host in a western state (US) who once posted here in the CC and has a handful of listings. His negative reviews are super amusing so I saved his listings and check on them every once in awhile. It adds for a little Wednesday evening entertainment. 🙂

@Emilia42 

As I've mentioned before, I've been observing (and documenting) many different Airbnb markets around the world for several years now, and I can tell you, this has been going on since at least early 2016. I've seen literally hundreds of accounts like these, and they never get closed down. Every time they get terrible reviews, they just pile on the 5 star reviews from all the fake profiles on their account, to push the bad ones further down, which brings their ratings back up again. 

This is why I really hate to see good, decent hosts stressing so much over the occasional 4 star review, when this sort of thing is rife across the entire platform. Airbnb are fully aware it's happening, yet do nothing about it, even when its reported to them repeatedly. The stock answer - unbelievably- is that it doesn't violate their T&Cs!! It's also why they put so much pressure on regular hosts to keep sky-high ratings - to balance the low ratings from so many of these "professionals", and keep the average rating for the platform as a whole, looking much higher than it would be if they separated the regular hosts from the commercials. 

@Emilia42  I would suspect that the Airbnb robots are programmed not to delist or even warn so-called "hosts" who have unbelievable numbers of listings (how could anyone possibly manage that many listings to a high standard?).  The bot probably has detectors for hosts who bring huge amounts of revenue in booking fees to Airbnb, which as we know, is all they actually care about these days.

They're not separated in searches from traditional hosts, but I'd bet they are in the non-transparent algorithms.

@Sarah977 @Emilia42 

Here's a thread from earlier in the year, where Miki, a host in Montreal, noticed that hundreds of new listings had suddenly flooded her market, and she was struggling to get bookings. 

I wrote a post on page 3 about Sonder (the company at No. 2 on the CBC list). They were actually called Flatbook previously - founder was 19 when he started the company - and their reviews were so awful that they had to rebrand as Sonder. Still somehow managed to raise $135 million in funding though, and with thousands of listings, are one of the biggest "hosts" on Airbnb. (Doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on there). There's even been rumours flying about that they may be bought out at some point by Airbnb... 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Wow-Hundreds-of-new-ABBs-just-flooded-my-market/td-p...

@Susan17, I remember that post too and immediately thought of it when I read BJ’s post. How on earth do you find these posts so easily?! I have such a hard time searching for past posts in the CC. When they’re gone, they’re gone.

Lol! I try to save the ones that are of interest to me @Emilia42 - when I remember! Otherwise I'd never find anything as the search function doesn't even work for me most of the time 

@Emilia42 :   I use pinboard.it for bookmark management.

Hi @Kenneth12 

Thank You for the tip. How is Your relationship with Inna going?

wow nice dude!thanksOutlook-icon.png

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Susan17something similar was recently exposed in New York City.  I'm not too surprised that Airbnb is turning a blind eye....just think of the profits.   😉

I am a new host to arbnb joined August 2018. I've been blessed so far with great guest. Has anyone had a problem with pay out. I told them I need 210 a night(have a 3 bed rm) I get paid different amounts on all bookings even if same amount of nights stay. Some r big differences. My guest told me what they charged him a night much more than I charge and got paid much less than my 210. Anyone no how this works. 

Confused