Problems with arrivals

Louise-And-Martin0
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Problems with arrivals

I have a guest who booked instantly and then messaged saying he would be arriving at 12 midday.  My check in time is between 3pm and 10pm.   I replied stating that as I didn’t have guests in the night before; it would be ok for him to arrive at 12.   However, he didn’t show so after an hour I messaged him asking if all was ok.  Reply was he’d decided to stay with his friends and would arrive around 4ish!   At 4.20pm, I get a message saying he’s going to get food and will be arriving later.  I say what time and he says about an hour or so!  Add to the mix that this guest is leaving at 4.30am and has asked for a light breakfast to be provided before he leaves. ( I do provide breakfast in my place)

My question is do I mention this inconsiderate behaviour to my guest ( politely of course) or do I review him accordingly after he checks out? I’m a new host and he’s my 10th stay.   (5.15pm and he’s still not arrived) my day was planned around a lunchtime arrival, then plans altered to accommodate 4ish.  

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Louise-And-Martin0   Guests often think adjusting their check in time has no impact on the host, so it is up to the host to specifically communicate the requirement to identify an ETA and stick to it as you will be expecting him/her and that time.  If you politely allowed the guest to make multiple changes, you unknowingly supported this rude behavior.

I also offer breakfast and have provided a modified breakfast with a super early breakfast, but my guests have always been most grateful.

As to your review, unless the guest was objectionalable in other areas, you might consider a private message advising of the check in issue.  The review can be neutral as opposed to glowing.

@Linda108 wrote:

@Louise-And-Martin0 

As to your review, unless the guest was objectionalable in other areas, you might consider a private message advising of the check in issue.  

Oh please, include the check in rudeness in your review. This is the most IMPORTANT thing for any non self check in host. I can overlook most anything, but not wasting 8 hours of my time.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Louise-And-Martin0   Might I suggest that you add a “no” or a “I’m sorry, that’s not possible” to your hosting repertoire?

a couple other thoughts:

- a guest who “TELLS” me what is happening at my house (early arrival) rather than “ASKING” probably isn’t going to keep their instant booking. 

- a guest who told me to reschedule my day 3 times likely would have been reminded that hotels exist and he probably should choose one. 

- a 430am breakfast? Sure, I’ll leave you some oatmeal supplies on the counter. No, I will not wake up before the roosters to watch you eat it. 

But if all this has already passed then, yes, the review should be poor. I can’t imagine many hosts who would find this behavior desirable. This seems a perfect use of the “guest expectations better suited to a hotel” review. 

@Kelly149 @Louise-And-Martin0 

- a 430am breakfast? Sure, I’ll leave you some oatmeal supplies on the counter. No, I will not wake up before the roosters to watch you eat it. 

But if all this has already passed then, yes, the review should be poor. I can’t imagine many hosts who would find this behavior desirable. This seems a perfect use of the “guest expectations better suited to a hotel” review. 

Good luck finding a hotel that will prepare any kind of breakfast at 4:30am! Generally, you can't even find a coffee pot at that hour of the morning unless you are really, really nice to the night auditor.

@Susan151 Right! And if this guest said to the hotel "I'll have my breakfast at 4:30am", they would have been very comfortable saying:

"no" or "I'm sorry, that won't be possible"

which is why I suggested to @Louise-And-Martin0 that they get comfortable with the phrase as well.

I strongly suggest getting a keypad or a lockbox so its convenient for you both.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Louise-And-Martin0 

I have a guest who booked instantly and then messaged saying he would be arriving at 12 midday....

This is off to a bad start...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A line I'll often use if I experience this behaviour goes something like: 'Despite agreeing a 2pm check in, X decided dinner with friends was more important and turned up several hours late'.