RING Outdoor Security Devices & Dishonest Guests

Karen700
Level 3
Dallas, TX

RING Outdoor Security Devices & Dishonest Guests

Since installing our RING security doorbells on both the front and back exterior of our short term rental property in January 2019, our eyes have been wide opened to the disheartening fact that almost 1/3rd of guests at our listing are dishonest.  From being dishonest about the number of guests checking in so they don't have to pay additional fees, smoking on the premises (prohibited even on the patios) to hosting events (this weekend was a first!) I cannot believe that even after disclosing that surveillance devices are on the premises facing away from the house (but recording 24/7 activity on the exterior areas of the house it can see) these folks still do whatever they want and it's up to us as hosts to call them out on it, ask for additional fees or kick them out.  I have hesitated to do anything up until this point as I wanted to weigh the "cost v.s benefit" of making an issue out of things.   

The biggest issue I see here now is after having a guest this weekend break all the big rules (hosting an event, multiple unpaid guests, smoking - and it was a 'wedding week' stay so super sensitive to their needs) now it's up to me to call them out, ask for money and then wait for the fall out of a negative review should I do this within the 14 day review period.  I have been in contact with Airbnb since last Friday once I started to receive notifcations that there was so much activity at the house.  Since this was a bride and groom who booked I knew it was a very special weekend but they apparently didn't read or care about the house rules and hosted their rehearsal ceremony in our back yard, decided it was ok to have a revolving door of friends/family use the house (all beds were slept in) and ignore the no smoking, even on the outside of the house rule.  If I send them a message (I've drafted a long message outlining the dates/times of the infractions since I have video evidence) before the 14 day review period and they get upset, they can easily give a 1 star review with NO RECOURSE for me unless it "breaks the Airbnb policy" which is essentially discrimnatory remarks only.  So now I have to wait the 14 day period and let them review (and based on the note they left us it was  a wonderful stay so they have no clue I have this evidence apparently) then request a resolution to the matter in the form of payment for the additional guests. I'm only asking for payment for 2 additional guests for their 7 day stay. I believe it was more but I cannot prove it other than seeing people coming with luggage that weren't the original guests. 

I'm just a bit tired of the Airbnb policies being skewed in the favor of the guests at all costs.  It is really disheartening and makes me think about whether or not it's worth the aggravation of hosting 30% of people who seem to think that rules don't apply to them but dare I say anything, then my Superhost status is in jeapordy.  

Thank you for letting me vent and I encourage those with short term rentals not on site of your current residence to consider RING or other outdoor security devices to keep an eye on your property. It is eye opening for sure. 

11 Replies 11
Tina80
Level 4
Treasure Island, FL

We found over 70% will bring extra guest no matter how many times you state , message , inform , place in rules , handbook , listing information. Nothing and I mean nothing deters them . It’s as if the mindset is I paid for the day so it is MY house for the day and we will do whatever we want at OUR house . 

It's really theft.

True, I wonder how can we be more clear with our rules to avoid things like this. But there isn't, because people don't read. They don't want to read. 

I mention on my listing to read the rules, on the pre-booking message to confirm they've read. Before check in day, I post the rules so they can review. I also had it printed and leave a panflet on their bed. I have so many stories of extremely crazy and direspecful guests, I actually don't know why I still host, haha 

yep they don't want to read and think the rules don't apply.  It's crazy especially with you living in the space that they try to get away with it in your HOME! 

Sue682
Level 2
Walnut Creek, CA

I do not have RING yet, but I'm wishing I did.  I had my first bad hosting expense and something similar happened this past weekend. They rented for 4 and all 5 beds were used and here's the laundry list of all the violations of the rules: 

1. Someone or something peed on the bed.   I had to hand clean the mattress and soak and wash the mattress pad 3 times (plastic is so tacky but now I see why I need plastic). 

2. They broke into our Verizon Internet Box and tampered with our internet and TV Settings.

3. Said they had 4 guests but all 5 beds were used

4.  Left all lights on and left window wide open which doesn't have a screen.   So, they essentially left my house unlocked for 2 days until I arrived.

5. Cleanliness.   Left wet towels on beds or in a ball on the ground.   Dirty Dishes all over.  I found dirty socks in the bed.  I found used ear plugs on the floor.   They overflowed our garbage and put garbage in my neighbors can.  They soiled and stained several towels and kitchen towels.   They admitted to having a "breakfast" and "dinner" at my home, so they essentially had a party.   

6.  They moved furniture  around to suit their needs

And, I waited for them to review me.  They had a lovely time.   I reviewed them with a mild but "true" statement saying, the clean-up took longer than a normal 4 person clean-up.    Then, I went to the resolution center to see about any compensation.   They haven't been helpful.   They were helpful when I called in a panic about the pee on the bed and told me what to do but know that I've done it, they do not appear to be on my side.   

Now, I'm thinking it's time to install RING so I can see what's happening and have video evidence of all the coming and goings.   But, even if you have that, does AirBnB help with this?  Do they ever side for the host?  Even with video evidence?   So far, my experience is they are helping the renter and not me. 

Thanks,

Sue

@Sue682  I'm so sorry that happened!  We feel totally violated and taken advantage of in these cases and it makes us not want to do this for sure. 

It's so difficult to call them out when you don't know until AFTER it's happened.  I actually let the first big offense go because the house was in good shape when we checked it out. It was her wedding week etc.  They wrote  very kind note in our guest book and even admitted to using our yard for their rehearsal "because it was so beautiful" so clearly they did not think it would be an issue.  They did not for some reason leave a  publicreview and neither did I as I waited to see if they would.   I am learning with each new "bad" experience what I can to to protect our home and ourselves. I would highly encourage the RING or another outdoor security device so you can have the proof of any events or additional guests who come during their stay that do not leave.   We have them on both the front and back exterior of our home. 

After that issue, I now have a message that I send to ALL guests prior to confirming their bookings to let them know we have RING and can actually see arrivals, departures, service people, deliveries etc. which includes knowing if they are having extra guests and any other activity BEFORE they book. We do NOT do instant book either for this reason.   I'm going to paste it here after this message so you see what I'm talking about.  It has helped me already. 

I've sent it to every guest since the first incident that we had and almost half of those requesting to book were already in some sort of violation of our policies but I only found out after sending the message when they respond back. From only booking 1 person when 4 were actually coming to trying to book on behalf of someone else (and we tell them that person needs to create their own Airbnb profile or we cannot confirm their reservation if they aren't in the party staying).

I did "catch" one guest who booked for 2 checking in at 3 AM no less, with 4 people & it was a long story but they couldn't get in because THEY DIDN'T READ THE MESSAGE of how to do it and apparently didn't read the note entirely but said they did and then blew up my phone at 3 AM trying to call me to see how to get in the house.   So in real time I could see what was going on from the RING.    I was able to let them know that I saw that 2 additional people were checking in with them and she still wasn't totally truthful and said  she "would let me know if they decided to crash there" at 3 AM no less... RING recorded them leaving out the back door the next morning so I had proof of it.  Anyway I told her that I would send a bill through the resolution center directly to her at the end of her stay "in case they decided to stay over again" . She paid NO problem and was even apologetic saying she wasn't trying to be dishonest....umhmm...That means the guest is already aware that they have violated house rules and THEIR REVIEW is in jeapordy at that point.   

I am totally tired of being taken advantage of and this seems to be the only way to make it stop.  If people are wanting to be dishonest after they read the message they can cancel the reservation or I can decline if they don't respond.  I am at the point that superhost status isn't as important as the protection of our assets and home.   I hope this helps. 

OUR GUEST MESSAGE PRIOR TO CONFIRMING BOOKING

Thank you so much for your request to book!  We are excited for the opportunity to host you while traveling in the area!   Before finalizing your reservation, we’ll need to share some information with you and ask that you confirm receipt of this message within 24 hours.

The home is used exclusively as an Airbnb rental, with no shared spaces making our house YOUR home away from home.  We’ve created a space that is warm and inviting with many special touches for you throughout. Please read our reviews and see!  

The home  can host up to 7 guests however we cannot accommodate anyone traveling with children under the age of 10 (including infants) or pets. There is an additional $15/per person/per night fee after 2 guests.  The reservation under the name of the Airbnb guest booking requires that this guest be staying at the home. No 3rd party bookings are permitted on behalf of another guest(s).

RING doorbells monitor the front & back exterior of the house 24/7 for the security of our home and guests.  While the RING faces away from the house, they provide notification of arrivals and departures as well as other activity from additional visitors, smoking on the premises (prohibited anywhere on the property) to deliveries and service calls.  Reserved guests are limited to up to five visitors at any one time in the home. Parties, gatherings and events of any kind are absolutely prohibited. No un-booked overnight guests are permitted without prior booking or notifying hosts of the intent to stay.  We reserve the right to charge for additional guests should more be observed upon check in or arriving during your stay and not departing overnight.  Therefore, we kindly request that you book for the entire number of guests staying during the duration of your visit, including any overnight stays by friends or family in the area.  If you need to adjust the number of guests at this time, please do so prior to finalizing booking or you may cancel your reservation should our home not be suitable for your needs during your stay.

Please let us know if you have any questions at all. We look forward to hosting you!

OMG, the pee in the bed would had left me fuming. I really hope you get your compensation! 

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I had many guests that brought people without letting me know or asking my permission.

In the past, I used to kindly remind them and then if the person slept over, they would pay the extra fee and all would be good.

Now, I am getting old and I have zero tolerance for this. It's my home, how dare you think you can do what you please and bring an unathourized, unregistered person to my property? It's the most disrespectful thing someone can do. And I have the info for the guest, but the other is a complete strager. I still message them to remind them of the clear and explict and also obvious rules in the most polite way of course, but then I contact Airbnb to rehome them. I care more about my safety than the money from the bookings. Might be different in this case because I share the space, but when you open your space, guests need to respect it or leave. 

@AJ-and-Erica0  you are correct, it is a most disrespectful thing that someone can do an especially that you share your space I cannot imagine that and the nerve someone possesses to think that is OK.  In a home that isn't shared it seems like it would be easier for them to do this thinking they won't be seen. And honestly had we not installed the RING we wouldn't know until check out and beds were slept in that weren't paid for.  I can only imagine what was happening in the year prior to our installation of these devices because stuff still happens even after people KNOW they are there.  They just apparently don't care.  

Its great you have RING! Usually people do this because - well, they have no respect at all but also because they think they would never get caught. I don't have any device, but I can always hear or sense when there is someone extra skeaking in. And sometimes, they are just really obvious. I had a guest last week that came back about 1 am with a guy and they were laughing like it was 1pm and then having sex very loudly. I decided to rehome her next day. Lost about £350, but safety comes first. I really think Airbnb shouldn't refund guests when they broke important rules like this. 

I would also recommend that you print the House Rules and leave in a place with good sight. I also message the rules one day before check-in. 

I cannot believe people! That's so rude and nervy!!!  So glad you got them out! We do have the house guidebook out on the counter for each new check in - I think people usually don't read anything but if the booking depends on their reply and acknowledgement of the message like I sent then they know they've been warned.