Re: Bad renter

Answered!
Janelle53
Level 2
Hinsdale, IL

Re: Bad renter

I've got no advice but sorry to hear. I'm having a similar issue with nightmare renters now and am getting pretty much zero help from AirBnB as well. Super disappointed in their customer service on such a big issue.  Our reservation was for 6 people and there has been a revolving door of about 40-50 people and 8-10 cars.  This is NOT OK in my neighborhood and the listing clearly states this.  They also tampered with the security cameras several times. Hope you got a decent resolution. and sorry you had to deal with this. 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Janelle53  Everyone apart from the 6 people on the reservation are trespassing. Tell them to leave, like right now or you will have call the police to remove them. If they don't do it, follow through. And tell Airbnb that you will do this if they won't leave on their own.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Janelle53  Everyone apart from the 6 people on the reservation are trespassing. Tell them to leave, like right now or you will have call the police to remove them. If they don't do it, follow through. And tell Airbnb that you will do this if they won't leave on their own.

Michelle1783
Level 1
Clarkston, MI

OMG!  We are having the EXACT SAME ISSUE!!!   I have 20+ 5* ratings.  Everyone loves our home.  This person is ghosting off anther profile, the profile isn't the person rating their stay (gave me 3*).  They had an enormous party, same thing, 2 of our neighbors called to complain. Left 9 bags of garbage (when they're suppose to take it to the curb) and an ENTIRE refrigerator full of old food that I had to take out and clean the containers!   I don't want to get into a texting sophomore fight. Its useless, they're entitled and I'm horrible for not allowing 50 people into my house!  I have no idea what my ramifications are for her negative post.  I was as gentle as I could be on her review … being positive as I could be.  She had the NERVE to say it was "unsanitary".  Its a 2 year old $5,000 couch.  Saying it was filled with bugs?  Seriously?  You slept in a hammock in the woods over night, maybe that was it?    Our entire experience has been wonderful so far … I have no idea what to do.  They just checked out last Saturday.  What are my options??  IT just simply isn't true what she's saying, she's pissed I called them on their party.

Andrea2559
Level 1
Bath, United Kingdom

We've been hosting for 5 years now and had nothing but delightful, considerate guests. Many who have come for several years as they loved the experience.  This Summer however, we have had our first nightmare scenario.  They booked for a whole month (which is unusual) in the most expensive time of year, paid up front early in the season.  Asked lots of questions and that was that.  On the surface all seemed genuine enough.  Our housekeeper reported after the first week there seemed to be a lot of other people around every time she came to change sheets etc. Was I expecting this?  The short answer is NO. 

We have just come back to stay in the house and we have concluded that the guests were sub-letting the rooms to other people. We cannot prove this, so I can't openly accuse them (name & shame) but lots of clues: The house was left a total tip, the kitchen was appalling, it took 2 people all day to clean it up. furniture had been shifted around the house and not put back.  Constantly asking for clean linen (which was denied them).  Sadly, also some petty thieving... small but telling things.  The spare batteries for the commands for tv, air con and so on. Broken blinds clumsily put back. Missing mugs.  Not replacing complementary kitchen things for communal use, using table candle glass vases as pots for plants (??) and not cleaning it up. 

All guests until now have respected the house rules.  Replace or leave a note and funds to replace, so next guest can also enjoy the privilege of not having to run out and buy these little sundries as soon as you arrive.  Without exception everyone has left a box with these "bits" for the next guest to use.  things like oil, salt pepper and so on.

worst of all, these people are not poor.  They also have a sailing boat.... clearly, money is not the issue here. Just scruffy people! 

How do I let the next victim know these are not good guests without slander?  any ideas?  Sadly Airbnb do not appear to have a private channel for hosts to be able to make comments on which is not public and liable to scrutiny by outsiders.  These sort of people have a tendency to be vengeful in my experience.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea2559  So sorry you had your first nasty guests. Lke you, I've had delightful guests and sure hope i don't get any of these types.

My neighbors had a similar scenario- they rented their place for 6 months, while they were away, to a young woman who presentd herself very well. It wasn't an Airbnb rental, just private. Then she proceeded to rent out rooms, which both I and the neighbor right next to the house caught her out on and let the owners know. She flat-out denied it, even though the neighbor right next door witnessed people driving up and getting out of thier car and saying "Oh, yeah, this will be perfect!" No one says that if they're just coming to visit. I also found that she had listed the place on Airbnb- she went away for a week, and immediately 5 carloads of people drove up and started partying, keeping the neighborhood awake. I right away Googled and found the Airbnb ad, which she had taken down as soon as she rented it. Then she tried to tell me "Oh, that was never an active listing." If it was never an active listing, it wouldn't have come up on a Google search. The owners phoned her and read her the riot act, but she just continued- she was just more sneaky about it. In addition, when she was there, she held constant pool parties with her friends- there were always at least 10-30 people hanging out. Using the owners' towels and the hot water to shower.

I can imagine it's hard to know what to say when you've never had to write a bad review before. I would not mention the suspicion of them renting out rooms, as you can't prove that, but otherwise be honest, factual and brief. something like "Guests left the house in appalling condition- extremely dirty with many damages, and several missing items. Appeared to have been more people staying than were booked. Definitely not recommended."

Suggest you get some oudoor cameras for the future, and don't rent to anyone for a month- that's far too long if you don't live nearby and can't keep an eye on the place.