Refund a coupon

Christopher99
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Refund a coupon

Hi,

I booked a room using a coupon I had. I had to adjust my stay so I got refunded. However, I was only refunded the amount I paid with my credit card, I was not refunded the coupon amount. How can I get refunded for the coupon I used? 

Thanks,
Chris

48 Replies 48
KeidenJoyce0
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Hi Christopher, you can refer to the Help center article about coupons.

• Coupons can only be used once. If you cancel a reservation that used a coupon, the coupon is also no longer valid.

Link: www.airbnb.com/help/article/1352

Dear Keiden,

I have a bit different situation as I didn't cancel the reservation, but my host did. 
Now I lost a place to stay and a coupon, what can I do? 😞

Kind regards, Metka

Wow, this is pathetic.  I may think twice about using Airbnb in the future becuase of this.

What about a change? The terms specifically say a "cancellation". It says nothing about a change. In theory you should still be able to use the coupon on a "change" since it is not technically a "cancellation".

Bao2
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

I feel that this information should be displayed when coupon is applied to bring people's attention. I didn't know this until I had to cancel and lost £93 worth of coupon. It's a bit sneaky to expect users to know this info.

Yes agreed.  It should be clearly posted.

I also had a cancellation.  Was offered a $500 coupon from Airbnb in and I accepted because I travel often and would use it.   I used only half of it on a reservation and now it's gone.   They never mentioned the terms, and I had to research them to find out how to use a coupon.   I am angry because this was my money and all they said was "sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped"... are you kidding me?!

Matt269
Level 3
Birmingham, AL

Oh wow...that is really underhanded and not consumer friendly. Nice tidy way to screw the customer there AirBnB. I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

I also just fell for this trick from AirBnB. I expected to have the coupon refunded but it's gone. This is not okay! 

Ahmed104
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

Just fell for this as well... this is not shown anywhere until you actually make the booking.
Super sneaky, and dishonest since the coupons are not a "gift". Often, they are actually there in place of cash (when getting a refund from a bad booking, etc.).

Ismael20
Level 2
New York, NY

This just happened to me and this is just pathetic on Airbnb’s part, practically robbing customers. I will think again before using them.

Kevin752
Level 1
Whitby, Canada

This is not acceptable. I just joined Air bnb and wanted to use the coupon for my first reservation. I was on the app and noticed I booked something accidently. Cancelled it right after that but then I noticed the coupon is gone. I haven't seen this low level of customer service anywhere in North America. I hope Airbnb would responde. 

Ahmed104
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

Can we please get an update on this from the Airbnb team? Just look at all the users that went out of their way to search for this issue and comment on here.

I have been trying to get mine back for weeks.   I actually had to cancel my next trip because I had planned to use the coupon.  So that means the other client also lost out.   I have called, and emailed, and get nowhere.