Resolution Center Fail - Heading to small claims

Pat101
Level 3
Culver City, CA

Resolution Center Fail - Heading to small claims

Well ... that was a big waste of time. On our 4th AirBnb reservation a guest threw a weekend long party and trashed our house. A broken teak lounger, towel rack(s) ripped off the bathroom walls, smashed glass at the pool, dented drier, doors knocked off hinges, clogged toilets, missing blender tops - which would explain the margarita mix up the kitchen walls. They also had twice as many people on the property as are allowed according to a city ordinance and which we state in our house rules as grounds for eviction and security deposit lose. Our cleaners said it was the "worst they'd ever seen"!

After many, many emails back and forth, Airbnb decided we were owed $13 for a cutting board the guests destroyed on the grill and wrote the rest off as cosmetic damage and "wear and tear". Intersting choice since we only finished renovationing and furnishing our house 2 months before the incident. We were vandalized and Airbnb completely turned their back on us. They've basically set the precedence that guests can trash your house and there no ramifications. Great news for guest! Terrible news for hosts. 

We're in the process of taking the guest to small claims court. Has anyone said screw the  "Resolution Center" and taking their issues to court? Any luck if so? 

63 Replies 63
Gabriela964
Level 1
Columbia, SC

I am highly disappointed with AIRBNB's lack of protection for homeworners and renters. I have filed two claims for guest damages of up to $1000 (with me being nice enough to get the cheapest company and handyman in town to do the fixes) with proof, and AIRBNB just says that i have to request the funds directly from the guests. Well, guess what, the guests don't ever believe they have to pay for the damages -- and they know it because at least one of my most troubling guests is an AIRBNB host herself.  
I am going to stop hosting with AIRBNB and only use them for traveling since that's the only role they seem to protect.

Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

It is the biggest joke ever. I had over $2500 in damages with a long term guest. Best advice read all the tiny detail in what it covers. There are so many exceptions. I am going to small claims court over mine. I told airbnb they had no intention of protecting us. They protect the guests but not the hosts. So protect yourselves!!

Christine Warrington
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Christine1081 

I sent the details you provided here to the team and also sent you a DM with the update they provided. Please have a look at your convenience. Thank you! 

I’m leaving Airbnb. They haven’t even responded to my request for compensation fir damages . Have called so many times. Keep getting told same thing over & over again that they were very sorry but the previous Airbnb stoned service person has not escalated it to the correct team. Managers ALWAYS  IN A MEETING. PROMISED Over & over again a manager will call. No one calls be. £1300 of damage with photos and cctv. Emails from my neighbour complaining about noise. Cleaner did deep clean right before their stay & can verify tge state of the property. AIRBNB IS the WORST Company EVER. CCTV is TOTALLY legal even in communal indoor hallways. You simply have to put signs up. AIRBNB has no right to penalise hosts fir this. It’s totally above board. Though of course I have ticked the box saying I have it but it’s none of their business!! How do I take Airbnb to court? Unfortunately the guest is not contactable as I did not take peoples ID. But unbelievably she is a host on AIRBNB!! I wonder if I can book into her property? Get it that way?