Refund not received, although promised by airbnb

Dejan3
Level 1
Belgrade, Serbia

Refund not received, although promised by airbnb

Host cancelled my reservation (it was instant booking), airbnb stepped in, said they'd refund the total amount I paid within 5 biz days. No money refunded so far (more than 7 days passed). It seems impossible to reach them again through the website, contact phone is well hidden somewhere.

How should I proceed?

57 Replies 57
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Click on this link for contact options, Twitter and Facebook generate quick responses - Contact Airbnb

BW, Ama

Awi0
Level 1
Manila, Philippines

Hi,

Did you ever get your refund?? I'm experiencing this now.

Emi15
Level 1
Campsie, Australia

Same problem here, too. It was noted that the money was fully refunded over a week ago but no money on my account. I have contacted help center, see what they can do for me....

Vicki81
Level 1
Whangarei, New Zealand

Almost the same, i am entitiled to a refund and cant even get in touch with anyone, only other hosts trying to give advice. **bleep**ing useless 

Claudia817
Level 1
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Did you get an answer?

Patricia693
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Having the same issue. Received an email from AirBnB saying they had refunded my Paypal account but they did not. Unfortunately too late to take it with Paypal. Not happy with AirBnB. I can see a lot of complaint about unprocessed refunds. Very difficult to contact them. Looking at escalating with local courts.

Patricia693
Level 2

I used Twitter (as recommended on this website) to contact AirBnB and received almost an immediate response. My case was soon escalated and has now been solved. AirBnB also send a discount coupon as a good will gesture.

Tricia68
Level 2
Nottingham, United Kingdom

I am also considering courts. Maybe this community needs to take joint action?

Same here. In my paypal app i can see a refund from air bnb but i havent received it in my bank account 😞 it has been a year already

@Chesca3  You need to transfer the money from PayPal to your bank account. 

You can transfer money from your PayPal balance to your local bank account in 2 ways:

Using your eligible Visa & MasterCard debit or prepaid card:
  1. Click Transfer to your bank below your PayPal balance.
  2. In the "Transfer to" drop down, you will be shown any cards in your wallet that are eligible for processing transfers.
  3. Select where you're transferring the money from, and then select to where you're transferring the money.
  4. Choose the amount you want to transfer.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Review your request, and then click Transfer.

There is a $0.25 fee to transfer money using your eligible debit or prepaid card.

All transfers are subject to review and could be delayed or stopped if we identify an issue.

Estimated arrival: about 30 minutes.

Using your bank account:
  1. Click Transfer to your bank below your PayPal balance.
  2. Select where you're transferring the money from, and then select to where you're transferring the money.
  3. Choose the amount you want to transfer.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Review your request, and then click Transfer.

There’s no charge to transfer money from your PayPal balance to your local bank account. Some banks may charge a fee for transfers. Contact your bank directly for more information.

Transfers made after 7:00 PM ET or on weekends or holidays take longer.

All transfers are subject to review and could be delayed or stopped if we identify an issue.

You can also transfer money from your PayPal balance by requesting a check. (There’s a fee of $1.50 USD for check withdrawals.)

Estimated arrival: 1 business day

Ines155
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Same experience here just now. County court for small claims will force them to pay up. 

I think you're right I'm thinking about doing the same thing here in the US. Apparently, one host has canceled 13 people over the year and has been making an income by canceling at the last minute.  Airbnb says they're working with me to mitigate but nothing has happened and they do not return calls nor send any emails. 

Kellie13
Level 1
South Australia, Australia

I have the same problem. Refund promised 27th July and not yet received.

How do you contact them if you dont have twitter?

I'm no dinosaur, but it would be much easier if there was an email address to write to!!

Patricia693
Level 2

I had never used twitter before so created an account (very easy and free) and contacted them. Once opened, search for AirBnb Help. the important step was to get an almost immediate reply and send the ball rolling. After this I dealt through email. Whoever helped on Twitter was able to escalate the case immediately. Doing the same via email had lead to nowhere. The Twitter trick had been recommended by another poster as it worked for her.