Refund not received, although promised by airbnb

Dejan3
Level 1
Belgrade, Serbia

Refund not received, although promised by airbnb

Host cancelled my reservation (it was instant booking), airbnb stepped in, said they'd refund the total amount I paid within 5 biz days. No money refunded so far (more than 7 days passed). It seems impossible to reach them again through the website, contact phone is well hidden somewhere.

How should I proceed?

57 Replies 57

In the in the same position, the host cancelled but did not want to look irresponsible on her profile asked me to cancel the booking.  Promised me that the full refund would be given.  It shows that the refund has been processed and will be on my credit card by June 19th.  I am still waiting.  I have contacted the host, I have contacted air B and B support.  The host has been in touch with me and air B and B but air B and B has gone silent.  No response what so ever.  I guess they are hoping I will go away.  I am going to twitter as suggested to see if I can get a response. 

Beryl21
Level 1
Brownhills, United Kingdom

Airbnb cancelled my trip saying they had  a problem with what i had booked, That was 9 August They said i would get a full refund, so booked another trip....Still waiting for refund.......Beryl

Joyce361
Level 1
Carleton Place, Canada

It’s been 20 days for me. And still no refund

Christina964
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I was told by Airbnb that mt refund would show up on my card in 5-15 days. It's been 15 days today and i still don't see anything. For others who have had this issue, what did you do ?  were you ever refunded?

Margaret853
Level 1
Grande Prairie, Canada

Wow this continues even now. So frustrating. Thought I had it coming but they put a previous date on a refund which shows does not show up as a credit

Latania1
Level 2
England, GB

Well years later Airbnb are still not refunding money to anyone it seems. I was meant to receive a refund for the cost of a hotel that I had to stay in for 2 nights as the host had a problem with his heating. The host refunded me with no problem, but Airbnb said they would refund me on December 20th 2019 and today is the 31st January 2020!! And  I've still not received a refund! And judging by all the comments on this thread, it doesn't look like I'm likely too either!

Scammers!

Same thing happened to me.  It has been 18 days and I still did not get the refund.

Thay are not responding neither on website nor on twitter. I also tried contacting the host who canceled the reservation but he is not answering.

Quite irresponsible behaviour! I was definitely not expecting this from them.

I dont know what else should I do, and amount of the money I paid is not small at all! 

Hello everyone! I have the following situation: my trip was cancelled and Airbnb promised the full refund, yet my bank account was closed by the time they transferred the money back. After contacting the bank and the company that executed the transaction, I was advised to contact Airbnb again. But the contact manager keep telling me that the money has been successfully transferred. How is this possible, when there was no account to transfer the money to in the first place??
Please can I ask admin to help me with my problem?

Antonin162
Level 1
Prague, Czechia

Hi All,

thank to not be alone in this trouble.

Airbnb is constantly claiming that they made a successful refund but after checking that with PayPal and my bank they both claim that they never received any refund.

To be more specific, I was mistakenly charged a wrong amount, so after many not often really nice conversations with their support they finally recognized that something does not fit in. First, the most frustrating thing is that every time you speak with a different person, so far I spoke with at least 7 other different persons via their chat and exceptionally many people on their hotline. And every time you have to explain to them what is going on.

But putting this aside, they said that they already made a successful charge back, but it never arrived, but I got three different dates when the charge took place and with two different amounts which makes the complaint even harder. It is even worse that they sometimes say that it was made as refund, and other time they say that it was a charge back (which needs to be linked to a specific charge on your account) and of course, there is no such charge to the refunded amount to which it can be linked, therefore no complain can be filled with this issue.

Is here someone who found an efficient method how to force them to deal with this issue, are are we just a community of ripped of customers ...?

Best wishes,

Antonin

Steve2961
Level 1
San Diego, CA

In response to one of Antonin’s last questions. Yes Antonin my friend. We are just a very small community of consumers Airbnb has ripped off and not protected. Even though they claim they do.

I’d like to add my experience to the massive and infinite number of consumers Airbnb has not upheld their end of the agreements to. 

Im in the process of moving to San Diego right now and needed a place to stay temporarily while my long term lease was being remodeled. In my search I frequently found myself scrolling through four or five Tijuana, Mexico listings to see one San Diego listing. Well one night as I’m falling asleep around 2am I accidentally hit the reserve button. My bank account alert from my cell goes off and wakes me up. I look and almost $1400 is gone. I cancelled it within one minute and called to cancel as well. Airbnb stated they will not help me. In the real world that is both unethical and immoral to keep money for services that were never provided.

@Steve2961 I really fail to see how you can hold Airbnb responsible for your actions here! Also I may be wrong but it takes more than one click to make a reservation. Finally whilst your hyperbole of 'a massive and infinite number of consumers' is impressive it is definitely not factually correct either.

William1633
Level 2
Chapel Hill, NC

We are having a similar problem to most of the rest of you with airbnb.  We booked a reservation in India in March 2021, with travel in December 2021, then when the Pandemic grew worse in India, we tried to cancel and were denied.

In late June, we disputed with VISA, who gave temporary credit.

Next, we received an email from Airbnb saying our reservation was cancelled and we would receive a full refund.

Then, VISA pulled back the temporary credit saying it had been more than 60 days since the transaction.

So we contacted Airbnb who assured us the check was in the mail.  After contacting them repeatedly through August and September they said it was a technical issue.

Then finally in November they said there would be no refund, and the matter is closed.  They never gave a reason why.

Now we have not vacation, and the host has relisted their property for rent for the same days, and Airbnb or the host has pocketed our money.

I have contacted Airbnb by phone, by app, and also by Twitter, but they aren't saying more than this.

I wonder whether I can file in small claims court in north carolina or have to file in California to retrieve the funds.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @William1633, I've passed this on to the team again.

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen