Review from guest that cancelled on the check in day

Antonis17
Level 1
Thessaloniki, Greece

Review from guest that cancelled on the check in day

Hello,

I recently had a reservation that my guest cancelled the same day of his arrival, because he had a car accident during his travel. The next day airbnb sent me a message asking if I was willing to consider allowing him to receive a refund, mentioning that the decision was completely up to me. After some thought I finally opted not to offer a refund, explaining that even though I’m really sorry for the car accident they had, I don’t have to take it on my shoulder. Cancellations on the same day can be quite disruptive for the host, who has put a lot of  effort and time to prepare the place and usually is not lucky enough to have another last minute reservation for the same days. In addition, I had to travel from my hometown a significant distance in order to welcome the guests that cancelled. I believe that on such occasions Airbnb should offer to possible guests the opportunity for a travel insurance that would cover them for such matters.

Airbnb responded that my explaination was completely reasonable and they were fine with my decision. After 2 days, however, I received a message from the guest who cancelled where he was stenuously demanding for his reservation money back and "threatening" to claim them through legal action if I didn't accept. In the meanwhile and to my surprise, I saw that he had already left a public review, despite the reservation being cancelled, which for sure will be very unfavorable when it appears..

How is it possible to get a review from a cancelled reservation? This guest never stayed at my apartment and never met me. Secondly, when I opted not to offer a refund I believe (and was reassurred by Airbnb) that I acted within the frame of my cancelation policy (moderate) and the airbnb policies and standards. Also, I explained thoroughly my reasons for not offering the refund and airbnb found them reasonable. Is it possible that the review can be removed since it is about a reservation that never took place? What are your thoughts on refund requests after same day cancellations?

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Call Airbnb and insist that the review be removed. Remind them that at their last host Q&A session their execs said guests are not allowed to review if they cancel on day of check-in, and any such review will be removed. If you do not get satisfaction, tweet @airbnbhelp.

@Lisa723  They back pedaled on that a few weeks ago. Put up a correction on her comment. Although they retracted it if they leave a star review for anything other than communication which is all they can really comment on I would fight to get it removed. The review should be removed for content as they never saw the place to judge you on any of those other 5 categories. It was not their personal experience, so it violates the content rules. There can be no Overall Review as that requires taking everything into account and there was no everything only communication. Also state it is a revenge/retaliatory review based on you not giving the refund he is now harassing you for. If the first or the next CS rep won't remove it call back until you get one that will as it should be removed. 

What is Airbnb's Content Policy?

Reviews

• Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions
  • Reviews incentivized by a promise for payment, additional services, or a discounted rate
  • Reviews motivated by a threat of extortion (review our Extortion Policy for more info)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

Correction: Previously we stated that guests who cancel before check-in, without seeing or visiting the space, shouldn't be able to leave a review, and that if hosts contacted us, we would remove reviews left by these guests. But it’s not always that simple. We only remove reviews which violate our content guidelines. We apologize for any confusion we may have caused in the Host Q&A. We take this seriously, and moving forward, we’re committed to being more clear.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Q-A/idb-p/2018-q2-qanda-en

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Letti0 thanks for the correction. That's unfortunate. @Antonis17 I agree that you should still be able to get the review removed.

@Antonis17   Odd that the guest did not claim "extenuating circumstances'  all they had to do was provide documentation of the car crash and they would probably have received a full refund.  I would copy and paste the guests threatening message and send that to Airbnb when you ask that the review be removed. Airbnb should remove it, if they honor their own policy.

btw: I'm  with you on travel insurance, but Airbnb have never addressed it despite many hosts calling for it. It is crazy, irresponsible  that people do not purchase it, most credit cards offer it for less than $10.00.

@Ange2  Most of my credit cards have it for free if you use the card to book reservations, flights, and other trip related expenses. The bests one out there for free travel insurance are American Express and Citi AAdvantage from my experience anyway.