Scam??

Lisa5753
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Scam??

So I want to rent an appartement in Valencia, Spain, long term. The owner is not in Spain but I can make a reservation with a 500 something deposit via Airbnb. She has a profile and good reviews. She says an agent of Airbnb will come with a contract. I read in the forum that Airbnb dienst have agents. But the advertisement looks legit and her profile and reviews too? Can I trust this? 

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It's a SCAM. Cease contact with this person. This isn't how Airbnb works. @Lisa5753

Lisa5753
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

But how can she have an account at airbnb and reviews? 

She doesn't. The Airbnb site for her fake listing is a fake Airbnb look-alike site. Try going o the official Airbnb site ad see if you ca find that listing. I'll bet it isn't there.

Just because you want to believe this listing is real doesn't make it so. Guests don't pay a $500 "deposit" to Airbnb when they book a place- you open a Airbnb account on their site, you upload your info and credit card info, and Airbnb charges your credit card.

@Lisa5753

Lisa5753
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Wow I see now the website is fake! Thank you so much. Do I have to report this to Airbnb or can’t they do anything about it? 

There isn't any point in reporting it to Airbnb because it has nothing to do with them- these are just online scammers like if someone sent you an email saying you won a million dollars and all you have to do to receive it is send $500 for administration costs.

What these scammers do is they steal photos of a house from real estate sites, then they create these fake websites- they're quite clever and unless you know what a Airbnb URL looks like, it looks almost the same as a Airbnb listing. But the giveaway is that they tell you some story about how they live out of the country, they bought the place for their son or daughter who doesn't need it anymore, etc. etc. Then they tell you how they'll do the first month through Airbnb, you just have to send a deposit, how they'll arrange the booking (that's not how you book an Airbnb- you do that yourself) how an agent will give you keys and show you the place, yadda yadda.

A real host would simply direct you to their listing by giving you the URL and you'd do all the booking through Airbnb yourself. They won't tell you their life story, ask you to email copies of your passport and the rest of your ID, tell you that you can preview the place, or any of that.

Where you should report it to is the site where you originally found the ad.

@Lisa5753

She doesn't. The Airbnb site for her fake listing is a fake Airbnb look-alike site. Try going o the official Airbnb site ad see if you can find that listing. I'll bet it isn't there.

Just because you want to believe this listing is real doesn't make it so. Guests don't pay a $500 "deposit" to Airbnb when they book a place- you open a Airbnb account on their site, you upload your info and credit card info, and Airbnb charges your credit card.

@Lisa5753

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico